What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Interior Color Pictures?

tx_jayhawk

Well Known Member
I've ordered the Classic Aero leather interior some time back, and I need to finalize on the colors. I liked the beige/netural combination best of all the leather samples, but I don't really want to paint the rest of the interior beige, and I think it might look odd being gray.

Does anyone have any beige (or beige and grey) interior pics that they might be able to point me to? For those that went grey...have you wished for a lighter or darker grey color? Seems like the light might reflect more, while the dark might absorb the heat.

Thanks,
Scott
7A Fuse

I had a medium gray in my RV6 and have the gray Classic Aero leather interior in my RV8, with gray paint. I wouldn't go any other way. I have found that it is light enough to make the interior look roomy and keeps things bright. Black matches well with it, as in instruments look good against gray, as well as any other trim items. It is not so light that it readily shows dirt. Important, since you will probably be stepping on the seats. Gray matches with just about any exterior color, with a few exceptions.
Of course, gray is not for everyone;however, I always have resale in the back of my mind and a conservative/neutral color like gray is a plus in that category.

Beige?

I had the same thoughts as Walt on the interior. I've had a Mazda Miata and always liked the tan interiors. Beige; nope, not me. How about tan, sand, sandstone, or camel? ;)

Jim
-7 Fuse

Cream & Red

Scott,
I used cream in the interior; from my BMW R1200.
Oregon Aero kindly gave me the left over Red Leather from the seats and Classic Aero used it on the arm rests. Bought it all together.

Pete.

I have Classic Aero's seats. Highly recommended. Very comfortable - especially on longer flights.

I used Medium Neutral cloth on the "inserts" and Medium Neutral vinyl for the "trim". My interior is painted with "Desert Sand" Concept (made by PPG). It's about halfway between beige and gray.

Pictures are on their website under "Customer Gallery".

John Miller

I have classic aero seats too and I don't like them. my butt and hips are so big -- my hips sit way up on the side cushions. but after paying what I did-- by gawd I'm going to get to where I like them. ;)

oh, and they're not bad looking. light and med. graphite grey.

121060443rb.jpg

The hours that we spent looking for interior colours !

In the end, I was at work and noticed that the interior trim colour of the Airbus was a perfect mushroom grey colour. Fortunately there was a loose bit that, er, accidentally came away when I pulled it.

I took it round to the local auto repair shop and they matched it on their paint machine. I got an aerosol made and tested a few parts, then ordered a quart which should do the interior.

Two-tone GRay

Thanks all for the feedback.

Mark,

YOur interior looks exactly like what I am not considering (two-tone light grey). Do you have any more close-up shots that you could maybe forward me (offline if required) [email protected]?

Thanks,
Scott

Picking colors

For those of us that are color matching challenged (most males? ... :) ...) there is an easy option.

Find an auto interior that you like.... and just copy the colors and fabrics.

If you know the exact make/model and year, any paint store can mix interior colors, and you can buy the fabrics at a good auto source - I used a store in LA when I lived there.. they had many catalogs of fabrics sorted by make and year... I don't know of an on-line source, but I am sure there is one.

I had seat cushions made by DJ at Cleavland. and she used the auto fabric I purchased - I copied the greys in my Astro Van.

Look closely how the auto makers do interiors.. they will use multiple shades, and usually move from darker shades on the carpet to lighter ones on the top of the door panels. They usually change textures too. It's quite easy to duplicate a similar effect if you have the same materials and paint colors.

I just used the principle that GM has a far bigger, and talented, staff of color experts than I can compete with... :)

gil in Tucson

Good point Gil, exactly. There are shops out there stuffed with auto leathers and vinyl. And the push-on trims for the glareshield, etc. I found a guy who would do Van's cushions for $250 in vinyl and these vinyls look and feel just like leather. And all kinds of carpets.

I found a shop a mile down the road but I had all my stuff and extra material already purchased (nine mos earlier) from Classic Aero, but I could have matched it easy.

A $15 piece of vinyl from C.aero is huge. ( I was planning on covering the rear top half of the bulkhead but used the vinyl on the glareshield instead.)

Jay-- I wanted all light grey-- just one color and Luke talked me out of it. I asked him how his wife liked it- mixed colors, lighter shades, and she really liked it so I said go for it.

But when I received it I was shocked, the inserts on the seats weren't all med., they left a section up towards the top and bottom lighter.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd print a page like Walter's seats, and personally write in the sections for the colors. I did everything over the phone.

Now a year later, after refusing to let Luke redo it for me, I'm glad I allowed them the artistic (can't think of the word) latitude.

Problem is, there are going to be hundreds of the same interiors out there so don't hesitate to add some personal flare to it.

And the nice thing is-- my goal years ago was to attempt to build a bird(with an interior) that looks as finished as a certified plane-- like a Cirrus and like a Corvette I can't afford. When I dumped all this interior in for the first time last week-- we were stunned, jaw dropping stunned-- with the Classic Aero design interior we pretty much achieved the look I had envisioned. sorry for waxing unpoetic. ;)

FWIW, mark

more picts on my photo dump-- click my name and then my homepage or

www.pbase.com/mark2nite

edit-- I mean Jayhawk-- scott :)

mark manda said:
Good point Gil, exactly. There are shops out there stuffed with auto leathers and vinyl. And the push-on trims for the glareshield, etc. I found a guy who would do Van's cushions for $250 in vinyl and these vinyls look and feel just like leather. And all kinds of carpets.

FWIW, mark

more picts on my photo dump-- click my name and then my homepage or

www.pbase.com/mark2nite

edit-- I mean Jayhawk-- scott :)

Hi Mark, I notice on your site that you have pix of the Classic Aero side panels (armrest area) and they don't seem to come all the way up to the canopy deck. I think I've seen the same thing in other pix too. Is there a problem there with the Classic Aero product.

Back