What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring/pitot lines to aft end - any suggestions?

EdRv7

Hi All - I'm new to the forum and my son and I are building an RV-7 Quick Build slider canopy. We are trying to figure out how to run the wires to the ADAHRS, elevator trim, and ELT, as well as the pitot/AOA lines to the aft end of the aircraft. Unfortunately, we have already riveted the baggage floors and nutplates, so we are looking for another route. I've considered running the lines down the tunnel, but I can't figure out how to exit the tunnel at the aft end at the F-706 bellcrank bulkhead. There isn't enough room to drill an exit hole without drilling very close to the doubler rivets. I've also considered running the lines higher underneath the longeron, but then I have to figure out a way to get the lines up the sidewall in the cockpit. Anybody have a suggestion or photos of how they ran these lines? Thanks!

There are bulkhead hole positions specified on the plans for manual trim cable going through the tunnel. Use them.

Vans has a PDF file for enlarging the web spar holes if needed. Study it and know exactly where both sides will be to avoid issues with standard installed hardware. All wiring will fit though the spar locations, but plan ahead and choose wisely.

The static line can route just under the canopy rail. I ran some wires there, and therefore don't recommend it. Too hard to ensure no rubs, especially with a QB.

You might consider removing the baggage floor rivets and installing nut plates.

I ran several wires down the center, but it is really a cramped, difficult place to work and ensure the wires never come loose to interfere with controls. I used a rivet to install some nylon zip mounts, and used lacing tape to attach as it was easier to access in the space. If you want adhesive attached tie mounts, use clic bond (sp) or pro seal.

Last edited:
Just me

I just finished wiring my 9A (same fuse as the 7A) tail section. I was able to run all the tail wires in the center tunnel. Most of the tail wires run through just one set of grommets (left side); it has wires for the GMU11, electric trim, and tail light/strobe. The right side of the tunnel is reserved for dome light , ELT and antenna coax. My wing wiring is all planned, and there seems to be adequate pre-punched holes for that too, considering I am running FlyLEDs; the wire size is much smaller than traditional lights.

My ADHRS will be in the front, so omly a static line coming forward under the top longeron.

There are bulkhead hole positions specified on the plans for manual trim cable going through the tunnel. Use them.

Thanks everyone for the help. Your were right - the holes are shown on drawing 21 detail A (and note 2). The holes definitely violate edge distances with nearby rivets, but that is what is called out on the plans. I've drilled the holes and inserted grommets, and we should be set to run the pitot lines and wiring down the tunnels.

I ran my Pitot/AOA under the seat area and up through the seat side supports, just fwd of the rear spar and up through the flap weldment cover attachment.

FL7k6aMl.jpg

Last edited:
Back