What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anti-seize compound on spark plug threads?

dwilson

Well Known Member
Looking for recomendations:
What should I use on the spark plug threads for anti-seize compound?

Duane

Use the right stuff?

My AI gave me a bottle of the stuff which is specifically for this application.

forgive my ignorance --

Please enlighten me. What is an AI and how do I get one?

Can you also tell me the name/number of the stuff?

Thanks,

Duane

Van's sells it. $4.50 a bottle under "engines & accesories" at the web store on the Van's website.

Champion....

The stuff made specifically for spark plugs....

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/antiseize.php

antiseize.jpg

gil in Tucson

Last edited:
Auto part stores have it

I've been using permatex brand in tube for years on my Cessna and never had any problems. Costs about $3. Lasts forever as you only need to use a little bit.

Nothing works pretty good too!

I was taught in A&P school to put drop of motor oil on the threads before installing the plugs. It seems to work just fine.

After a fews years of working as an A&P I got a new A&P job at flight school.
It was at Sky King airport in Terre Haute, IN. Neat place.

The first time I went to install some plugs there the shop manager, Bill (IA) saw me putting a drop of oil on the plugs and said "We never put any oil on the plugs". He was a man of few words. I continued oiling the plugs as I installed them, thinking that "they" just didn't go to the trouble when "they" installed them. He looked at me a little funny and said "Mark, you don't understand. WE don't oil the plugs here!" Oh OK, I get it...stop oiling the plugs. Yes SIR.

He then explained why they didn't.
It makes them easier to clean in the bead blaster next time"
They squeak a little on the way out but no big deal.

Well, I never oiled any more plugs there but later when I worked elsewhere I would put a "smaller" drop of oil on them !

Mark

And to top it off, I just put them in dry, 360inch/lbs torque, never had a problem in four years of doing aicraft maint. professonally (It was shop policy at the place I worked).

AI

dwilson said:
Please enlighten me. What is an AI and how do I get one?

Can you also tell me the name/number of the stuff?

Thanks,

Duane
I'm sorry, Duane, an AI is an Aircraft Inspector, the grade above A&P, able to sign off on an annual on a certified aircraft. G. Alexander's post is the same stuff, exactly.

I recently bought a bottle of the Auburn spark plug lubricant/anti-seize. And just noticed it carries the warning "DO NOT FREEZE COMPOUND". Well, before I noticed this warning, I did allow the compound to freeze.

So is it no longer useable? What properties are compromised it the compound has been frozen?

Anybody know?

Thanks,

Inspector or Inseminator

hevansrv7a said:
I'm sorry, Duane, an AI is an Aircraft Inspector, the grade above A&P, able to sign off on an annual on a certified aircraft. G. Alexander's post is the same stuff, exactly.

Well, not quite. An AI is an ARTIFICAL INSEMINATOR who provides reproductive services for livestock, while an IA is an airframe & powerplant licensed mechanic who has an INSPECTION AUTHORIZATION. I know this only because I was corrected long ago by a friend who is both. :D

A Humble Thanks

BOBM said:
Well, not quite. An AI is an ARTIFICAL INSEMINATOR who provides reproductive services for livestock, while an IA is an airframe & powerplant licensed mechanic who has an INSPECTION AUTHORIZATION. I know this only because I was corrected long ago by a friend who is both. :D
Oops. Thanks.

BOBM said:
The way I look at it, someone with an Inspection Authorization (IA), must be an Authorized Inspector (AI). How could they BE an IA? An IA is a certificate.

Reminds me of all the people who will correct you when you say your annual is due on a homebuilt. My homebuilt requires a "Condition Inspection," annually. Sounds like an "Annual" to me, even if it isn't quite the same thing as an "Annual" for a factory plane.

Back