What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Safety wire

Rob H

Well Known Member
I'm finishing the RV12 tail kit and I'm on 11-04 step 4. It calls for me to twist safety wire around the hinge pin ends. There are tiny holes provided in the HS to run wire through. What size wire do I order? There isn't any with the kit. Also, do I need to order the twist pliers? And, should I order extra in case it is needed later? I'm assuming I should order SS rather than brass. Thanks for the help. Rob

You want SS, not brass. You will need the twist plyers. You can do it without them, but not nearly as easily. I would use 0.032" safety wire for those. Safety wire and plyers are supplies and tools expected to be available in the build shop, as are clecos and cleco plyers.

Jesse, Great, thank you for the help. I made a couple cross country trips to Ocala from Winter Haven when I was finishing up my Private a few years ago. I went to Tailwheels Etc. to escape the nasty winter here in Illinois and was able to get my ticket in a few days. I passed my check ride at about the same time Sully landed on the Hudson in January 2009. I have fond memories of flying in FL and you have a nice facility at Ocala. Thanks again, Rob

To answer your other question: As far as I know it's only sold by the roll (in a can). One can will last you a very long time.

Rob, you can get some cheap twist pliers at HF that will work reasonable well for you. I have one pair I paid a bunch for and one I got at HF. I can't tell which one is which. But, I have the cheaper Stein D-Sub crimper and not the Blue one, so you have to take that into consideration!

Let me know if you need a bit of wire. Im sure I have some I could mail you.

EAA Chapter?

Rob, I would check to see if there is an EAA chapter near you. If so, one of the members would probably be glad to give you a bit of wire and loan some twist pliers. You will eventually need both going forward, but for now, see it as a good opportunity to get to know some of the local builders.

I ordered some wire from Aircraft Spruce and some pliers from HF. Yes, I have an EAA chapter about an hour from me. I will check it out. Thanks all!

Rob,
Also check out the EAA web site for hints for homebuilder videos, there are several about safety wire, techniques and tools.

Much good advice above, but be careful buying cheapo safety wire pliers. I have a cheap made-in-China pair that are fully worthless. Much of the time I find that very small vice grips work really well... You just do the twisting more slowly. ;)

Back