What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wright Patterson AF museum / Oshkosh

bjb3013

Well Known Member
Thinking of stopping by the Wright Patterson AF museum in Dayton on the way to Oshkosh.
How much time should I budget to see it all? places to stay?
Looks like I should fly into I19 (Green County)

All thoughts would be appreciated

Brent

Big Museum

My father-in-law was a docent there. If you want to see it all plan to spend a full day. Best bet is to call the FBO at Green Co. and ask for hotel ideas. No hotels in walking distance of Green Co.

We did this on the way to Oshkosh in 2005. It was fantastic. We flew into Green County A/P and were treat great.
We spent 2 days at the museum and could have easily spent longer.
I don't think you could possibly see everything in 1 day.

Last edited:
One day? That'd be a run through! I've never had more than a couple of hours at a time, and wished I could spend a week.

Our first time coming back from OSH we stayed 2 days, which was just about right. We were/are planning on stopping again this year, depending where we are with our shop build project.

Tanya likes to read all the stories on every exhibit. I like looking at the nuts and bolts.

I spent 3 days there all by myself. I was able to take my time, read and see in detail all that I wanted to see. There is a nice cafeteria, an incredible book and gift shop, and now all the experimentals are in the new 4th hangar.

I stopped there on my way to Osh several years ago. I am glad I did the museum first, I was way to tired after Oshkosh.

Was just there...

+1 - two days minimum. It's fantastic. I rolled it into the Indy 500 trip. Only thing was, the new, fourth hangar wasn't open yet, wouldn't be for a few more days. Dag-gone it...looks like I'll have to go back! Aw shucks!
Also, don't neglect the Wright Bros bike shop and museum, and Huffman Prairie.
Regard both as an aviator's pilgrimage.

When we were there, I'm guessing what you guy are calling "the 4th hangar", was a special tour "through the gate" to the experimentals that you could take, and of course we did. Man, I remember the days of mystery of "tacit blue"...

If you like big iron that makes lots of noise keeping our country free and reading about them, then 2-3 days is a good first pass through. If you like general aviation with casual interest in military aircraft from WW1 to present then 1 day would be enough.
I have been there 10-12 times and always find something interesting to spend 4-6 hours learning about.

1 day won't allow you to see everything very well. I live about 10 minutes from i19 and about 10-15 from the museum. If you need help with anything let me know.

Wright Pat

I am also looking forward to visiting the museum for the first time this year in October. This will be the 50th reunion of the Ranch Hands, the unit where my father lost his life. They normally meet in Ft. Walton Beach outside of Hurlburt Field where they trained. This year We are having a dinner underneath "Patches" and the remaining Ranch Hands will be dedicating a bench with the names of the fallen.

When we were there, I'm guessing what you guy are calling "the 4th hangar", was a special tour "through the gate" to the experimentals that you could take, and of course we did. Man, I remember the days of mystery of "tacit blue"...

They moved most of the aircraft that were in the hangars on base, to a new 4th hangar, which opened last month.

You don't need to go to the base anymore, which was always a hassle unless you had privileges to drive on base.

Oh, and don't miss going up to Huffman Prairie field. Just sitting there on a big rock looking out across the grass you can feel the presence of Orville and Wilbur arguing over the minutia of flight.

I was TDY to WP about 20 years ago that covered two weekends and I spent all Saturday and Sunday both weekends there. IMHO, two days would be the minimum and with the additions since I've been there that might not even do it justice. I've always planned to get back for a follow up but have just never made it.

Great museum...go even if it is only for one day. You will not be disappointed.

photo from a couple weeks ago. this one was ahead of its time. see it at the museum.

6Ev5LBVdpJSAN38ZabjNoBD6RB7TFRXuq3qAi_jZDsUuBMF3PyFjHtO4RJtU1DuEAkSCteUTf2I=w1152-h864-rw-no

DkJvXALhwCDdX-g0D3mDVpbxV6JFtBs5U_jvYiwMJaOpVpd-6RR8eBXEUlhjR7vR6vJuloVkN0I=w1152-h864-rw-no

j1zn__-T0aHxeNgCpX334nlTIYXtieGw14oo-algOtHeDGdY-Uv-Pn_24o8lObHu5V3pAzsl0U4=w1152-h864-rw-no

We flew into Moraine I73. A little farther away but they let us take the loaner car for 2 nights. We spent almost a full day and had to move very fast to get through 3 hangars. With 4 hangars you'll need 2 days. I wish I had spent 2 days.

Just me, but

The last time we stopped by there was maybe 5 years ago. I had planned three days. The first two went off with no hitch, by the third day at 10:00AM I had to pick-up the pace and just walk past all that was left on the floor. That was before the new big Hangar this year was opened. If you really like the best collection of the U.S. Air Force, I would place my bet on at least three days to see it all. It really is worth going back there about every 4-5 years as it changes a lot over a short amount of time for a museum. Oh and be sure to go up to Boxcar and pet her. It is worth an hour by it's self. Yah one of my favorites. Hope this helps. R.E.A. III #80888

National Museum of the USAF was on my bucket list for 5 years and still is. I hope to see it in the winter of 2017.

I can tell you you'll want a day for the main hangar (if you hurry)...

I was there 15-16 years ago - Gotta say it was one of the most disappointing things I'd planned..

Disappointing, in the fact, that after travelling from Australia, I'd allowed one day for this visit.

One singular day...

I saw about three quarters of one hanger, rushed the last quarter, and walked out dis-believing there were another two hangers that I'd missed ? :eek:
It was so disappointed, knowing I didn't have the time, and might not be back anytime soon.

I had never seen anything done on such a large scale before.

Oh, and the president was having a dinner there. If you see him, say hi for me.

(Can i claim that I only really missed one hanger, as the other was out of bounds from memory)

No idea about how much time you'll need for the other two (three) hangers..

One of the (rushed) highlights of my life, Shame all photo's were stolen in Chicago :eek:

A repeat is on the bucket list :)

The more time you have the better. I never miss seeing this every time I head back to Dayton (old stomping grounds). There is lot's of aviation to see in the Dayton area.

I wish I were going!

Bob

Back