What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How did your first toolbox / practice project turn out?

JDBoston

Well Known Member
So I am a newbie in general in the sense of actually doing vs reading. Of course I am a total expert and know everything because I've read lots of builders logs and taken one weekend class... :rolleyes:

So here I am with a completed vans toolbox kit staring at every rookie mistake in the book. Let's see, dimpled one side the wrong way, back riveting slipped off the plate ruining a couple rivets, under dimpled a couple, etc.

Very very humbling. Some if it I am really happy with. But it makes me question myself on proceeding even though I saw things improve as I went on.

What was your experience like with the practice projects? Do the masters of the craft look back at theirs with disbelief on how much they have improved? Need a little confidence boost..

Major lesson for me was slow down.. Of course what I wanted to do was go faster to complete the project :)

We all went through what you are experiencing now. I didn't take a class or make a practice kit. I took my new rivet gun over to my a&p And he showed me how to use the gun and what pressure to set it. Needless to say I drilled out quite a few rivets that were not up to par. You will get enough experience with riveting the skeleton parts before you get to the skins to get pretty comfortable. There is almost nothing that can't be fixed when you mess up. Between all of us here I bet we've made nearly every mistake possible and still ended up with a wonderful airplane. One thing that helped me was switching to a number 2 rivet gun from a 3. Getting the pressure set just right for the size rivet you're using helps a lot too. Just remember we're all here to help and there are no dumb questions. :)

I started the same way as you. I am halfway through the wings now, and still make stupid mistakes, but when I'm not doing stupid things I have noticed my workmanship improve, and you will as well. I have rebuilt several things, including an elevator, as I was not happy with the results. It's frustrating but I remind myself that I intend to own this airplane the rest of my life, and I want to be proud of it. I also remind myself that I've never built an airplane before, I can't expect to get everything right the first time.

You will come to get a sense of what things you can re-work or leave as-as, and what things you want to repair or replace. If there's any question as to safety, I replace, or at least ask Vans. If it's something I don't want to stare at for the next 40 years, I replace! Most parts are small and cheap. Plus, they say your first time you build 1.5 planes.

Remember that there is nothing that can't be fixed with time and/or money! Read the plans, don't work when you're tired or mad, and try to learn from others' mistakes. I'm learning so much on this plane, I'm going to want to build another one when I'm done just because of all the things I know I could do just a little better!

Chris

Last edited:
My tool box S U C K E D !!!!!! when I finished it. Made the same sort of mistakes. One day after practicing on a lot of scrap everything just clicked...............

Have fun

Let's just say, I am glad I am not flying it. If smiles mean you are happy, than my toolbox is very happy, it is full of smilies.

We all started somewhere, and we all improved as the build progressed. The tool box is meant to show examples of rivets, deburring, piano hinges, dimpling, all kinds of processes used in building.

Order the tail kit and see how that goes. :D

The real question is did you prime the parts! :eek:

;)

Last edited:
Par for the course

I have smiles and run away rivet gun. One of the first lessons was to clamp small pieces while riveting and stop squeezing the trigger prior to removing the pressure from the rivet head. You will soon be a riveting expert. Rock on.

Mine too

My tool box S U C K E D !!!!!! when I finished it. Made the same sort of mistakes. One day after practicing on a lot of scrap everything just clicked...............

Have fun

+1
Good advise.
Play with scrap.
Mine was bad. I may build another after the plane is done.
Welcome and build on.

I built the tool box and 2 of the little wing training kits. The tool box training kit is simpler than the wing training kit. I suggest you order one of the wing training kits. It takes some time to get the feel of this. These training kits are cheap and its worth it get some skill before you start making mistakes on the more expensive parts.

I also took an EAA sheet metal class. You might want to investigate these classes. Unless you get some help it is difficult to get it all figured out. For example I had no idea of what air pressure to use for my rivet gun. I started doing some of my first rivets at way too high of a pressure. They were smashed and I had no control.

I do have to tell you that you will not be skilled even after you have done these training kits. I'm much more skilled now than when I started this project, but even after the empennage kit and most of the wing kit I'm still learning. The problem is there are so many different riveting situations. It takes a while to be able to handle all possible situations without any difficulty.

The frankentoolbox

Our toolbox is hideous! We keep it hidden away in a closet with nothing in it. :eek:

Just keep practicing. It's one of those things that you'll get the hang of one day and you'll never think twice about it again.

Well I am glad I saw this thread. MY tool box and other training Item arrive Wednesday. Right now I am waiting for the UPS guy to bring me my tools. I spent the weekend building those 5 foot long EAA benches and got the whole shop ready.

Glad to see my tool box is gonna look like ****. Now I won't feel so bad, and wont yell at my kid too much (We are doing this together...)

Cheers
Andrew

My tool box is like mary Poppins - practically perfect in every way. :)

OK, maybe not. It's not bad, but it's certainly not perfect. The farther along in the build I get, the more I develop my skill for being patient. I'm learning when to stop working for the day/night before I get sloppy and impatient. I had not yet learned that when I built the tool box, but I was being super-careful so it sort of balanced out.

I did most of the tool box with a hand squeezer, and finally figured out how to set the thing up. The rivets weren't the biggest problem for me, it was trying to bend that stupid wire handle. I could NOT get the sides to come out to exactly the same length! I'm sure my two gas guages will read differently as well.

Glad to see my tool box is gonna look like ****. Now I won't feel so bad, and wont yell at my kid too much (We are doing this together...)

Welcome to the community, Andrew. You will love building with your kid; my youngest son and I are co-building. Yes, you'll learn parenting patience in your shop, and if you're honest with yourself, you'll learn personal patience as well.

You've come to the right place to learn to build. There's an abundance of experience and talent here. Be sure to donate early as DR deserves our support.

--
Stephen

This is exactly what these tool boxes are for. You are now aware of the many different types of things that can and do go wrong. Some simple, some not so simple. My toolbox turned out pretty well, but I still learned a lot and I think in retrospect I would practice even more on some scrap. For me, my most common mistake is the bucking bar slipping off the rivet often resulting in a dent. I felt a whole lot better when a friend of mine who worked for Gulfstream said their jets went into paint polka dotted with "bondo". Oh well - I wasn't going to polish my airplane anyway.

You CAN do it,

Tom

Dents

This is exactly what these tool boxes are for. You are now aware of the many different types of things that can and do go wrong. Some simple, some not so simple. My toolbox turned out pretty well, but I still learned a lot and I think in retrospect I would practice even more on some scrap. For me, my most common mistake is the bucking bar slipping off the rivet often resulting in a dent. I felt a whole lot better when a friend of mine who worked for Gulfstream said their jets went into paint polka dotted with "bondo". Oh well - I wasn't going to polish my airplane anyway.

You CAN do it,

Tom

That's a relief!
I've got two dents that made me nuts.

Build on!

Back