What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing platenuts for tank

RVdreamin

Guys,

The holes that allow for the screw to attach the tank to the wing are enlarged when I countersink for the screw. I am using a .032" test skin(thickness of tank skin) to test fit and when it is flush with the spar, the hole in the spar flange is large (close to .370). I searched this web page and that seems to be okay. I called Vans support and they said to not use a .032 skin as a guide to establish the depth of the countersink into the spar, but to countersink the spar until the screw is flush with maybe a slight halo. I have only done one hole and woulod appreciate some help.

Countersinks

I would stop where Vans suggests and if necessary, work them by hand when you fit the tank.

If I understand you right, you are countersinking the spar to accept the dimple from the tank skin? I would either use what vans suggested or use a piece of scrap as colse to the thickness of the tank skin, with the correct diameter hole drilled for the screw and dimple it and use that as a guide to figure out the depth needed to get it to fit against the spar without it moving around in the countersink. Hope that helps.

Jimmy
Im building a 7 and the tank attach nut-plates use #8 screws. I used .370 as my outside diameter as referenced in an earlier RVater publication. I am very happy with the results. As an earlier post mentioned, if I install the screw without the outer skin I have a slight halo around the screw head. I did a bunch of test coupons and got the dimensions perfect and then went to town on my spars. Go slow with the drill, use boelub and have the nutplates installed as a guide for the countersink cutter. Now get back out to the garage and get to work.:)

DSCN0831.JPG

Back