What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fly Utah UDOT Program

Washington

The state of Washington has a similar program. There's about 110 participating public use airports. Each airport has a stamp. The state printed books that look something like a passport book. You have to go to each airport and use the stamp to stamp your book.

It's a lot of fun, but very time consuming. They publish where the stamps are but it is not always easy to find it.

You can see that there are several jacket winners by now.

Why do they all look retired?

Michael-

https://www.flywashington.org/

Vlad, KUAO has your prize waiting, only one airport and includes a bonus free beer.

Bruce I already removed passenger seat. Waiting for weather to stabilize, them zooming your way on a weekend. Those winters in North East is a joke comparing to Utah and Wyoming :)

Skinwalker Ranch

Vlad,

Exists a Ranch in NE Utah dubbed the Skinwalker Ranch not too far from you. Google it. Intriguing to say the least. Pretty sure it?s not on the UDOT list, but would make for a beautiful fly over.....at least during the day...yikes!

Check out the book ?The Hunt for the Skinwalker?
Download on Audible too. Very interesting and freaky.

Found out about it on FB when a couple fat tire cub drivers were talking about asking permission to the current landowner about landing and camping for a weekend. Have at it!!

Skinwalker Ranch

Heard about it from a coworker Ed. He is fascinated with stuff like this. He showed me the exact location couple months ago we drove by. I will investigate further and report :)

Thank you so much for sharing. I fly around Utah a lot and didn't know about the program. This is a fun project for my son and I to complete. We stopped in Dutch John last Saturday and noted the Russian plane in the parking area:
5eIA-9BZ_L7UMViaerIur762paB6-sFPmfnrG93U4ZXFMQkg-F3O2rqPNKiaWdYJPISp73lOb9jJnESFhkLQXT-1XOHJVss7UUL6DuxmkFl4aCc3pKxpCJUZkbYyQOEnndqY6j9UIw=w2400

Three Backcountry Airstrips for Condor Award

If you are pursuing the highest award there are three backcountry airstrips to visit. All three are RV9A capable if you know whatcha doing. Not sure about other models :D

UDOT_Awards_1.jpeg

1. Angel Point.

Angel_Point_1.jpeg

Angel_Point_1_(2).jpeg

Angel_Point_1_(1).jpeg

2. Mineral Canyon UT75.

Mineral_Canyon_1.jpeg

3. Ibex Hard Pan the easiest of the three.

Ibex_hard_pan_1.jpeg

Mineral Canyon pickup

Wow, was just at Mineral Canyon, on a float trip down the Green River. Could of requested a Vlad pickup in exchange for some wine. :) Flying out would sure beat a rattle-ride in a van with other stinky folks!

I could not find a similar flying awards program in Texas. Apparently Texas does have around 730 airports with close to 400 of those public use. Would be a real challenge to land at ~400 airports!

Anyone know of a flying award program in OK, Louisiana, Arkansas, or NM?

the arrows are a unique part of history. I'll try to find them next year and remember the fliers that went before.

One of the airports on the list shows as closed. How do you get to 45 when only 44 are available?

Which one is that Sean? There were couple airports under construction NOTAMed closed but only for several months. There is only one airport I can not punch into the system - UT03. There is no phone signal anywhere within the 30 mile radius.

New sighting

Vlad, Here is a photo you could get, don't know how far from you though. Might be a lot of air traffic :D

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 7.26.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 7.26.26 AM.png
    175.2 KB · Views: 235
  • Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 7.39.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-25 at 7.39.00 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 234
Which one is that Sean? There were couple airports under construction NOTAMed closed but only for several months. There is only one airport I can not punch into the system - UT03. There is no phone signal anywhere within the 30 mile radius.

Vlad,

On the UAOA site the Mt Pleasant Airport is on their list as closed from 2016

The program is complete to the highest level. It took 9 months it's my 5th state and in a record time. The Utah program was probably the easiest the nice challenge was going advanced to locate airmail arrows and land on backcountry strips. North Dakota Passport Program is next... :D

Stockton Arrow is hard to find.

Stockton_Arrow_1.jpeg

Toole_1.jpeg

I could not find a similar flying awards program in Texas.

Anyone know of a flying award program in OK, Louisiana, Arkansas, or NM?

I organized something similar to this for the GWRRA motorcycle group out of Shawnee, OK in 2008. I put together a State Park Tour. Oklahoma has 50 state parks.

I think it'd be pretty fun to do something like this with an EAA Chapter.

Back