-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:04 AM

Bumping this old thread back up for the same reasons that the previous poster did.

Anyone have an idea of how to look at the pics in the original post?

My flaps locked up yesterday on a cold flight home and I'm wondering if that plus the grease caused the problem.

Worked ok after spending the night in the hangar. ...still, I'm ready to tear into it to sort things out permanently.

Thanks,

Rob S.
New Braunfels, Texas (KBAZ)
Old 04-14-2017, 06:47 AM

Rob, were you able to locate the pictures in the original post? I am also in need of servicing the flap motor and would sure benefit from seeing the pictures.

Mike M.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:46 PM

Default Flap motor failure

Today my flap motor intermittently failed. Plane completed 2010 so it's been in service 7 yrs, 470 hrs. The motor would run the flaps down, but upward was very irrattic. Careful listening of the motor running in the hanger, the upward direction sounded like faint snapping/crackling, like electrical arcing.
Took the motor apart, no obvious reason of failure, inside looked clean, but armature looked worn and discolored.
Just ordered replacement unit from Van's... $460! Ouch!
Building Log: www.mykitlog.com/n539rv
APRS Tracking: aprs.fi/n539rv
2017 Paid
Old 04-16-2017, 01:20 AM

Default Usher

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv9av8tr View Post
Today my flap motor intermittently failed. Plane completed 2010 so it's been in service 7 yrs, 470 hrs. The motor would run the flaps down, but upward was very irrattic. Careful listening of the motor running in the hanger, the upward direction sounded like faint snapping/crackling, like electrical arcing.
Took the motor apart, no obvious reason of failure, inside looked clean, but armature looked worn and discolored.
Just ordered replacement unit from Van's... $460! Ouch!
You can order just the motor (with the worm gear installed) directly from Usher for quite a bit less than the whole actuator mechanism costs from Van's.

Skylor
RV-8
Old 07-05-2017, 01:10 PM

Default Motor still available

Just to continue this thread. I've been having problems with my flap motor. I've cleaned it several times, but the time to recleaning seems to be getting shorter. So I just talked to Brad at Usher (503-992-0015) and I should have a new motor on the way. Price is still $125.00 plus shipping. Brad claims it is exactly the same motor ("there is only one"), so it should screw right on.

Apparently this is a fairly common problem. I told him I had an "RV aircraft with a bad flap motor" and he knew exactly what I needed!

Next time my current motor fails, I'm putting the new one in. Until then it goes in the spare parts bag.
APRS track
Old 11-09-2017, 04:54 PM

Angry Flap Motor fix with Pics

So, third time for grease contamination failure for me, and I am getting annoyed with it since it always happens at the most inopportune time!!! I too was able to apply the Fonzerelli thump for one or two operations of the flaps and then nothing. I am going to disassemble the cylinder this time and dump some (at least) of the grease from the dumb thing. I have always found the commutator/brushes contaminated with grease, and cleaning lasts about a year for me. Whoever designed that motor to slope down did not do us any favors. I have one O-Ring (about 3/8" diameter on the motor housing around the shaft) but that doesn't seem to do much. Is there a really small O-Ring that goes on the shaft itself? I don't see one on mine. Has anyone solved the problem of how to view the pictures in the 1st post in this thread? I get to something called ImageShack when I click on the link (something like Grassy2040) and I get to that ImageShack website but no pictures fill the little boxes. Long post but I hate this system and am about to go to manual if I can't get a resolution to this problem.

I tried to attach a photo to this post but can't figure out how. It asks for a URL address when I click on the Insert Photo Icon, and the photo is not on a URL. It is in a folder on my computer!! Hate computers!!
Old 11-11-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB View Post
Has anyone solved the problem of how to view the pictures in the 1st post in this thread?
I just went through the motor cleaning procedure again myself. I have to do it about once a year or so. I have posted below what I believe are the pictures from the original thread. Not sure about the order.

Old 03-04-2018, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdserv View Post
I just went through the motor cleaning procedure again myself. I have to do it about once a year or so. I have posted below what I believe are the pictures from the original thread. Not sure about the order.

Same Here.... Cannot view pics...
Old 03-04-2018, 09:28 AM

That?s because the free picture hosting site became not free anymore.
C-FAH Q now N281CT
gwilcox3 @ gmail.com
Old 03-04-2018, 11:35 PM

Default Flap Motor Option

You guys must have missed fellow RV man Pat Hatch has a very good replacement kit here http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...&highlight=Pat

Check it out and get a better motor for less $$