VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.


Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV Ongoing Maintenance Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-11-2022, 08:53 AM
tom paul's Avatar
tom paul tom paul is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 41
Default Cm Hobbs meter running for six weeks while airplane off and hangared!

I just flew my plane for the first time since December. I was at the hanger in late January for an oil and filter change, and I ran the engine up to temperature both before and after the oil change. My hobbs meter was showing about 1240 hours, and I have a photo of that indication. I take a picture with my phone before and after every flight. Today I went out to do some pattern work and dust off the old skill set, not to mention the aircraft. I was shocked to find the hobbs meter indicating to 2272 hours! This number actually adds up to the number of hours since I did the oil change. The plane was sitting with a battery charger connected all of the time.
I did notice something new when I got in the plane this morning. I heard an occasional click coming from the panel. It happened every few seconds with apparent regularity. I traced it to the hobbs meter and saw a little flag indicator changing on the left of the face. I didnít build the airplane and thus have a limited understanding of the systems. I am considering that perhaps there is a oil pressure sensor that turns on the hobbs which has malfunctioned.

This seems like a pickle to be in. I need to fix the issue and somehow wind the hobbs back to where it was indicating TTSN engine and airframe.
I look forward to hearing anyones thoughts and experience with something like this.
__________________
RV7A
3rd owner, bought flying

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0667019/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-11-2022, 11:41 AM
Tankerpilot75's Avatar
Tankerpilot75 Tankerpilot75 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 750
Default

I also purchased my RV from the original builder and noticed immediately a significant difference between Hobbs time and Tach time. Much to my surprise I discovered the Hobbs meter ran when ever the panel was powered up - there wasnít an oil pressure switch to provide power to the Hobbs. As a result, when ever the panel was powered (say to practice and gain familiarity with the EFIS or gps systems) the Hobbs meter ran.

This wasnít acceptable to me so I ordered an oil pressure switch and new Hobbs meter. Before I installed them (after confirmation of Tach hours with log book entries) I powered the new Hobbs meter long enough to have the hours match tach time. Installed switch and new Hobbs meter, annotated log book and pressed forward. This was about 400 hours ago and as expected there is now a slight difference between Tach and Hobbs hours (~3.5 hours) but at least the two measurements are tracking actual run time - not panel power time.

In your situation Iíd first check to see if other items have power to them when the charger is connected. If so you need to correct that first. If not then someone probably hot wired the Hobbs to the battery. Remember, these are amateur built aircraft and anything is possible.

Good luck.
__________________
Jim Harris, ATP, T38, EC/KC-135A/E/R, 2008 RV7A, 2nd owner, N523RM (2015)
Superior XPIO-360 B1AA2, Hartzel CS prop, Dual GRT Horizon EX with ARINC, EIS, Garmin 340, 335 w/WAAS gps, Dual 430s (non-WAAS), TruTrak 385 A/P with auto-level & auto-trim, Tosten 6 button Military Grips, FlightBox wired to EX, Dynon D10A w/battery backup, 406 MHz ELT. Mountain High O2 system, CO2 monitor, Custom Interior, TS Flightline hoses, ETX900 Battery, Great POH!
Retired - Living the dream - going broke!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-11-2022, 12:06 PM
Ironflight's Avatar
Ironflight Ironflight is offline
VAF Moderator / Line Boy
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dayton, NV
Posts: 12,987
Default

I don’t know of a way to run the Hobbs backwards - my guess is that you can’t because, well….Hobbs are used on all sorts of machinery to record time, and if it was easy to run them backwards, no one would ever know how much time was on a tractor, or a backhoe, or an airplane, or….. (I coudl be wrong of course - someone will come along and say that they connected the battery backwards and ran it in reverse….but I have never heard that such a Ethan’s works!).

What I would do is make a logbook entry that shows what Hobbs time correlates to at this point in time. Then you’ll give yourself (and future owners) an accurate benchmark. Hobbs time is arbitrary anyways - some folks put old Hobbs meters in new machines and just keep track of the delta. Our RV-6 has had Hobbs, and hasn’t. It’s had five different EFIS/EIS installations over the thirty year life. It’s had two engines, with one of them overhauled. I spent an afternoon going through all the logbooks, correlating and sleuthing to figure out my best estimate on what the actual airframe time was, then built a spreadsheet to show my work, printed it out, and put it in the logbook. So from now on, we (and any possible future owners) know how many hours are on the airframe based on the current indicated time on the EFIS.

Paul
__________________
Paul F. Dye
Editor at Large - KITPLANES Magazine
RV-8 - N188PD - "Valkyrie"
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-11-2022, 12:23 PM
BobTurner BobTurner is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 8,177
Default

The standard Hobbs on a rental 172 is wired thru a fuse directly to the battery, and controlled by an oil pressure switch. Otherwise a few pilots would turn off the master in flight, to cut their rental charges.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-11-2022, 12:46 PM
gasman gasman is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sonoma County
Posts: 4,346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom paul View Post
I just flew my plane for the first time since December. I was at the hanger in late January for an oil and filter change, and I ran the engine up to temperature both before and after the oil change. My hobbs meter was showing about 1240 hours, and I have a photo of that indication. I take a picture with my phone before and after every flight. Today I went out to do some pattern work and dust off the old skill set, not to mention the aircraft. I was shocked to find the hobbs meter indicating to 2272 hours! This number actually adds up to the number of hours since I did the oil change. The plane was sitting with a battery charger connected all of the time.
I did notice something new when I got in the plane this morning. I heard an occasional click coming from the panel. It happened every few seconds with apparent regularity. I traced it to the hobbs meter and saw a little flag indicator changing on the left of the face. I didnít build the airplane and thus have a limited understanding of the systems. I am considering that perhaps there is a oil pressure sensor that turns on the hobbs which has malfunctioned.

This seems like a pickle to be in. I need to fix the issue and somehow wind the hobbs back to where it was indicating TTSN engine and airframe.
I look forward to hearing anyones thoughts and experience with something like this.
If all power to the aircraft is cut off with the Master Solenoid, and the master switch WAS off, then how did the hobbs run during this time.

When you connected the charger, did you reach in the oil door and connect the + clip to the wrong side of the master solenoid..... or to the battery side of the starter solenoid??
__________________
VAF #897 Warren Moretti
2021 =VAF= Dues PAID
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-11-2022, 02:56 PM
PilotjohnS PilotjohnS is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Southwest
Posts: 2,175
Default Just me

I would buy a new hobbs, run it at home till it reads the correct hours. change it out on the plane, and note in log book what occurred.
__________________
John S

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2022, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
98% done, 2% left to go
Structure done (less gear)
Electrical/Panel done
Firewall Forward 95% done
Fiberglass 70%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-11-2022, 02:58 PM
gasman gasman is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sonoma County
Posts: 4,346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
The standard Hobbs on a rental 172 is wired thru a fuse directly to the battery, and controlled by an oil pressure switch. Otherwise a few pilots would turn off the master in flight, to cut their rental charges.
In the 70's, I was along for the ride with a friend in a rented turbo Arrow. In front of me was the hobbs and a pop-in panel that Piper used to cover a future radio location. Curious, I popped the cover off and THERE, was an inline fuse to the hobbs.....

We agreed to remove the fuse. 10 minutes later, guilt was the conversation and the fuse was replaced......
__________________
VAF #897 Warren Moretti
2021 =VAF= Dues PAID
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-11-2022, 04:25 PM
AlexPeterson's Avatar
AlexPeterson AlexPeterson is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ottertail, MN
Posts: 2,511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
If all power to the aircraft is cut off with the Master Solenoid, and the master switch WAS off, then how did the hobbs run during this time.

When you connected the charger, did you reach in the oil door and connect the + clip to the wrong side of the master solenoid..... or to the battery side of the starter solenoid??
Most hobbs are set to record engine run time, not master on time. Standard practice is as discussed earlier in this thread - direct from an always-hot bus.

So, to run it backwards, first find a black hole - the next part gets a bit tricky...
__________________
Alex Peterson
RV6A N66AP 1750+ hours
KADC, Wadena, MN
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-11-2022, 05:40 PM
Mike S's Avatar
Mike S Mike S is offline
Senior Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dayton Airpark, NV A34
Posts: 16,318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotjohnS View Post
I would buy a new hobbs, run it at home till it reads the correct hours. change it out on the plane, and note in log book what occurred.
Easier is to install a new unit, and make an entry in the log stating Hobbs was replaced at XXX hours.

Then current Hobbs + XXX will be the total time.

And, wire it up through an oil pressure switch.
__________________
Mike Starkey
VAF 909

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-12-2022, 10:00 AM
jneves's Avatar
jneves jneves is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
Easier is to install a new unit, and make an entry in the log stating Hobbs was replaced at XXX hours.

Then current Hobbs + XXX will be the total time.

And, wire it up through an oil pressure switch.
This method works, but you can also just make a log entry that actual time = Hobbs minus XXXX. Same outcome in both scenarios a quick calc is needed. I did this on the last plane after a few hours of going through the logs to confirm the actual TT. Also made reference in the notes section of the log book for future use by who ever needed it
__________________
Johnny

N455DM - RV-6A - Bought Flying - 2021
Tip Up Canopy
IO-360-A2B
FP 66" Catta 3 blade Carbon
IFR - 2 Garmin G5s - 430W - GFC500
JPI EMS-350 to monitor the temps
N89WD - Flight Design CTSW - Sold 2021
Donation Happily Made!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:49 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.