Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2020, 06:51 PM

If your gear is steel it is factory gear.
If it is aluminum square section or airfoil shaped it is (was) grove gear. It wasn't an option to order from Van's, you just bought a different set of gear from Grove. I think Grove stopped producing the airfoil shaped gear a few years ago but I thought the still made the square gear. Could be wrong though.

There is a new company producing the airfoil shaped gear. Somebody chime in here because the name escapes me.
Wings completed except for bottom skin and glass work
Fuselage underway
N18451 reserved
Old 05-27-2020, 06:53 PM

Sky Designs is making the aluminum airfoil shaped gear now. I am planning on using them on my RV8 build.
RV8 N848DW. Ser#83830 done.
James Cowl
DAR inspection on 7-23-2021
First flight on 7-25-2021
Phase 2 on 9-3-2021
Old 05-27-2020, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xblueh2o View Post
If your gear is steel it is factory gear.
If it is aluminum square section or airfoil shaped it is (was) grove gear.
Heading out to the hangar to grab a magnet....
Sadly sold my RV-8 however still trying to enjoy life by living on my airport with FREE campsites & facilities for ALL visiting pilots to enjoy www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/ & flying my OnSpeed equipped C-177 while waiting for the RV15 !

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:03 PM

Easier test. If you threw your back out or felt the twinge of a hernia when lifting the gear out of the box, it is factory gear. I kid, but that is the reason for the Grove aluminum gear. It was something like 13 pounds lighter.
Wings completed except for bottom skin and glass work
Fuselage underway
N18451 reserved
Old 05-27-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xblueh2o View Post
Easier test. If you threw your back out or felt the twinge of a hernia when lifting the gear out of the box, it is factory gear. I kid, but that is the reason for the Grove aluminum gear. It was something like 13 pounds lighter.
I didn’t build it but the magnet still clinging from it says it’s steel. Thank God for one thing turning out right, it’s been one of those days you can’t wait for it to be over, but I’m breathing and healthy so I won’t complain.
Sadly sold my RV-8 however still trying to enjoy life by living on my airport with FREE campsites & facilities for ALL visiting pilots to enjoy www.facebook.com/VacaMooAirport/ & flying my OnSpeed equipped C-177 while waiting for the RV15 !

Exempt by 3 out of the 10 ways but I still donated.
Old 11-07-2020, 03:41 PM

I check the torque on my -8 landing gear each time I change the oil. It's really one of my least favorite jobs. I'm tempted to reinstall the bolts from the top like other have done (with anti-rotation tabs) so I can check the torque from the bottom. At that time, I'll install new bolts/nuts. I'm planning on the NAS6606-36 bolts (I have Grove gear) and the NAS1804-6 nuts. While looking for some some of the 1804's, I stumbled on an H20-6 (also a 3/8x24 12 point rated at 220,000).
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...sp?Product=H20

The H20's measure .45in in length, compared to the .37in for the NAS1804's. I like the idea of more thread length. Has anyone used the H20's and are the specs comparable?

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2960.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	4405  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2962c.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	777.2 KB
ID:	4408  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2963c2.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	4409  
New Superior IO-360-B1AC2 w/Hartzell Composite CS
RV8 - #83313 - Under Construction (sort of!)
Old 11-07-2020, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernliving View Post
I check the torque on my -8 landing gear each time I change the oil. It's really one of my least favorite jobs. I'm tempted to reinstall the bolts from the top like other have done (with anti-rotation tabs) so I can check the torque from the bottom. At that time, I'll install new bolts/nuts. I'm planning on the NAS6606-36 bolts (I have Grove gear) and the NAS1804-6 nuts. While looking for some some of the 1804's, I stumbled on an H20-6 (also a 3/8x24 12 point rated at 220,000).
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...sp?Product=H20

The H20's measure .45in in length, compared to the .37in for the NAS1804's. I like the idea of more thread length. Has anyone used the H20's and are the specs comparable?

Brian
The H20 is a stronger nut, with more thread engagement. This means you will need NAS bolts that are longer, or with a longer threaded portion, so that you get a slight projection of the bolt threads beyond the end of the nut. (2 threads is often stated as std custom, but is really overkill - It is most important to be sure there are full threads engaging the locking feature of the nut). You will have to research bolt lengths.

I would say, however that the NAS1804 is completely adequate.

Putting the bolts in from the top has several advantages, but is difficult to do as a retro-fit. There are several screws and nuts from the assembly of the gear weldment, doublers and skin that are in the way and would have to be removed. It also means that the height and shape of the gear fairing on the belly will be different, but that is fairly minor.
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet" Flying since Sept. 2009
Hobbs 700
also
1/4 share in 1959 C-182B (tow plane)
LS6-15/18W sailplane SOLD
bought my old LS6-A back!!
VAF donation Dec 2021
Old 11-07-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsmith View Post
The H20 is a stronger nut, with more thread engagement. This means you will need NAS bolts that are longer, or with a longer threaded portion, so that you get a slight projection of the bolt threads beyond the end of the nut. (2 threads is often stated as std custom, but is really overkill - It is most important to be sure there are full threads engaging the locking feature of the nut). You will have to research bolt lengths.

I would say, however that the NAS1804 is completely adequate.

Putting the bolts in from the top has several advantages, but is difficult to do as a retro-fit. There are several screws and nuts from the assembly of the gear weldment, doublers and skin that are in the way and would have to be removed. It also means that the height and shape of the gear fairing on the belly will be different, but that is fairly minor.
Thanks for the H20 info, Steve. They are nice, hefty nuts! I'm currently using the NAS6206-36 bolts. It looks like the NAS6606-36 would have the extra thread length needed should I decide to go with the H20 nuts.

I've looked at the retrofit obstacles for putting the bolts in from the top, and I think it's manageable. I'm just trying to evaluate a suitable anti rotation solution. W/out it, there isn't much benefit, and may make it more difficult to service with the 6 point bolt head inside the tower. Scott describes the process here. https://vansairforce.com/community/s...d.php?t=130904

Brian
New Superior IO-360-B1AC2 w/Hartzell Composite CS
RV8 - #83313 - Under Construction (sort of!)

Last edited by Northernliving : 11-07-2020 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-08-2020, 02:15 PM

Default Landing Gear Bolt Torque Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernliving View Post
I check the torque on my -8 landing gear each time I change the oil. It's really one of my least favorite jobs. ...snip
Why the inspection overkill? This is the RV-8 Manual recommendation:
Check these bolts and re-torqued after the first ten flying hours, then again
at 50 hours, and annually thereafter.
After initial "wearing in" of the gear attachment and wear-plate hardware, there shouldn't be much change of the fastener torque over time - unless you are really abusing the landing gear.

Skylor
Old 11-08-2020, 03:05 PM

Brian,
My bolts go in from the top. I cut short Allen wrenches and fit them in the bolt heads with glue. The tails of the allens are connected together with a short piece of steel tube and glue to prevent rotation when torquing from below.