What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 Taildragger Taxi Light Illumination

Meat

Patron
Hi All,

I wanted to hear from taildragger pilots out there about how adequate your landing/taxi lights are while taxiing in the 3-point attitude. I've got RV-14 QB wings and am working on the light mounts. I'm using the standards Vans supplied dual AeroLED Sunspot 36LX landing lights. AeroLED makes a taxi light version of this 36LX light as well with a wider horizontal beam.

1. When using these dual landing lights is there enough adjustability in tilt to adequately light the taxiway in the 3-point attitude?

2. Has anyone swapped out one 36LX landing light for a 36LX taxi light version? Seem like mounting this on the left side would make some sense.

This may be a non-issue since Vans supplies dual landing lights and no dedicated taxi light. I called AeroLED and they said they don't get queries about this either. A tri-gear probably would have no problem. A taildragger with its nose pointed up in the air may be a different issue.

I appreciate everyone's time and responses.

Cheers,
Scott

I asked a similar question a couple of months ago. I found the Van's stock set up just fine. The Aeroleds provide plenty of light. I used two landing lights as Van's sells.
I asked the question about aiming the lights in this thread. I aimed them according to post #4. https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=201301

I like to think of my left wing light as the "flare light". It is pointed down to light up the runway while I am flaring. Also acts as a taxi light when taxing.
The right wing light is aimed to light up the runway while in a normal decent just prior to flaring.

Back