What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Golf bag, will it fit?

WyoDave

Well Known Member
I've been flying my RV6 for 15 years and love it. Except for when traveling with my wife and want to take my golf clubs. I have a light weight carry bag. With the long clubs along the side it's possible. But we're pretty crammed in like sardines with the other luggage. I'm considering what I want to build next. I really don't need more than 2 seats, but could use a LOT more baggage space. How do golf clubs fit in a 14?
Maybe I should keep my 6 and build a Bearhawk 5. But then I'll be maintaining 3 airplanes:eek:

This is a future use case for me as well, so I'm curious of any answers. In fact, it was one of my "mission" items that led me to selecting the -14, so I hope it's doable.

IMO it would be difficult with 2 in the airplane. Not impossible with a single pilot/seat down.

RV-10 probably a better option for 2 + golf clubs.

bags

I've seen several RVs modified to carry golf bags (even ski equipment). Plenty of room to expand baggage compartment. Might be a consid.

In my -7 I can get my bag (a standard carry bag) and all clubs into the baggage area. Remove every club longer than a 5 iron, and they can fit (just barely) diagonally.

With two bags, the long clubs need to ride up front next to/between the seats. we were only going about 20 min flight so it wasn't too bad. Next year I'm planning to cut and reinforce a small hole in the rear baggage big enough for 6 shafts to fit through so everything can ride in the back.

With two sets of clubs, it would need to just be a day trip or maybe just one night with minimal other luggage as things are very full with just the clubs.

Last edited:
I’ve thought about doing this: cut rows of round holes in your baggage bulkhead for golf bag tubes -

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Player-S...dKoetJ_j9wHbyAfXPUMaArykEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Make a second light weight aluminum panel/bulkhead to secure the aft end of the golf club tubes. You would likely need to make that aft bulkhead in two pieces to accommodate the elevator control tube, and to ease installation. The affect on CG would be minimal, especially if you have graphite shafts. The club heads would be all you see on the baggage bulkhead, and it wouldn’t use any floor space. You would need some sort of net to hold the clubs loosely in place so the clubs don’t become missiles when you jump on the binders trying to make the first turn off after landing. One other caution - if you have a magnetometer mounted in the tail cone area, forward of the aft deck, and you have any steel shafted clubs, be ready for some pretty fantastic wind readouts on your EFIS. I had an aft golf club deck in the tail of my first RV8, right near my magnetometer, and it threw my mag heading off by at least 90*!!

In my -7 I can get my bag (a standard carry bag) and all clubs into the baggage area. Remove every club longer than a 5 iron, and they can fit (just barely) diagonally.

With two bags, the long clubs need to ride up front next to/between the seats. we were only going about 20 min flight so it wasn't too bad. Next year I'm planning to cut and reinforce a small hole in the rear baggage big enough for 6 shafts to fit through so everything can ride in the back.

With two sets of clubs, it would need to just be a day trip or maybe just one night with minimal other luggage as things are very full with just the clubs.
What you've said, that is exactly my experience. If I'm solo it's not a big deal.
Thanks for all the suggestions! But I'm probably trying to expand the 6 beyond it's intended mission. I'm going to decide which plane I need to haul a LOT of baggage, still be comfy for passengers, and cruise at acceptable X-country speed. Rough strip capability would definitely be desirable. And keep the 6 for fun flying and solo missions. Or trade the 6 for a 4. Or build an F4:cool:

What you've said, that is exactly my experience. If I'm solo it's not a big deal.
Thanks for all the suggestions! But I'm probably trying to expand the 6 beyond it's intended mission. I'm going to decide which plane I need to haul a LOT of baggage, still be comfy for passengers, and cruise at acceptable X-country speed. Rough strip capability would definitely be desirable. And keep the 6 for fun flying and solo missions. Or trade the 6 for a 4. Or build an F4:cool:

Just throwing this out their that you can buy a lot of $150 RT shipping at www.shipsticks.com and/or rental clubs for the cost to buy another airplane :p

I can carry my clubs

I've carried two sets of 14 clubs in my 6A with a standard baggage compartment several times.. You have to take the clubs out of the bags and place them diagonally on the floor of the baggage compartment. The driver is hard to fit but a normal length driver can barely clear the horizontal brace behind the seats in my plane. It seems to work better if you put the grip in a back corner. John

Back