What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 rudder pedals

may20112.jpg

may2011.jpg

may20111.jpg

Some time ago sometime was talking leg room in the RV3.I am 6' 1 but all my height is in my legs.I have a hard time fitting in RV4's,most of the time I have to remove the back cushion.I built the floor mount pedals for my 3 and found I could just fit in the plane.I decided I wanted to use overhead pedals.Ray Lawrence and I looked it over and thought it would be a good mod.I bought 1 RV7 rudder bar ,rv7 rudder pedals and UHMW rv7 flap blocks.Cut the pedal to fit the 3 , put a brace on the firewall in the center and welded tabs on one side for rudder cable and master cylinder.This saved having to buy a second rv7 rudder bar.With the master cylinders on the front the pedals can now go very close to the firewall.I think this mod probably gave me 1 1/2 to 2 inches more leg room.This will make the aircraft much more comfortable to fly.I thought this might be a option for taller or long legged folks.

I have seen this airplane many times.

John has built a -6, -4 and a prize winning -8 with beautiful workmanship.
This particular mod is so simple, it amazed me!...one pedal bar cut in half and a couple tabs welded on.

Best,

Thinking about how much travel I get from my RV-6 pedals, that setup looks like you won't be able to get both rudder and braking action at the same time. Has that been checked? I'm aware of a non-RV homebuilt that was finished near me recently that has this problem.

Thinking about how much travel I get from my RV-6 pedals, that setup looks like you won't be able to get both rudder and braking action at the same time. Has that been checked? I'm aware of a non-RV homebuilt that was finished near me recently that has this problem.

Adjusting the cable link will resolve this issue and also create a better working foot angle to the pedal. Pedals that are set parallel to the firewall will make you ride the brakes.

But this looks like a great mod...........:)

Recess in firewall

Is there something that prevents you from putting in an RV-4 style lower firewall recess?

John has built a -6, -4 and a prize winning -8 with beautiful workmanship.
This particular mod is so simple, it amazed me!...one pedal bar cut in half and a couple tabs welded on.

Well, not quite that simple........... the three does not have those longerons that the pedal bar is mounted on.

But, I see the floor bracket for the stock pedals are gone.

Overall, this is really a clean setup, and would make building and maintaining the rudder pedal system much easier. Might weigh a tad more that stock.

Back