What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Premier Zip Tips - Exterior Lighting

Sarn

I'm New Here
Brand new to the VAF - Building a 14, EMP complete. I apologize if this has already been covered. I've searched the forums and can't find a thread with anyone who has installed and is flying with the Premier Zip Tips. I should be done with the wings in the next 1.5 months and need to make my decision on wing tips.
The Zip Tips look great, but I'm concerned about getting parts/customer service if I have any parts fail in the future. I'm also considering waiting on AeroLeds - they are supposedly coming out with a similar wingtip to the Zip Tips, but no projected date.
I would appreciate any info you can offer.

Installed zip tips I’m my 14. Look and perform great. Same with the 10 I’m building now.

Thanks for the reply.

Any issues with them? Radio noise? Wig-wag?

I've never seen a picture of them actually on an RV14. Can you send me some?

Installed on my 8A

I put the later model (current model) ZipTips on my RV8A. Easy install with 4 hands. I utilized mostly the existing wiring from the Whelen Nav/Strobes, and more wires for LL. I have not painted them yet, but the fiberglas finish was quite good as received.

I like them a lot, previously the plane had only one Duckworks landing light in the Right wing which, though LED, was not enough light for Pilot when landing or for distant planes to see me well.

Comments:
1. They make a detectable difference in roll rate, as others have reported. Hard to quantify, but its noticeable in anything beyond an enroute cruise rate of roll. Aerobatic inclined pilots should try them somehow before committing. This is my only reservation in recommending them to all pilots.
2. The taxi light portion of the lighting is not great. Initially, I had the taxi and landing lights of each wing ZipTip joined on one switch. Later, I split the taxi lights onto a separate switch (leaving the LLs (all three) on a LL switch. I find that the taxi lights alone are not satisfactory. So, I usually land and taxi with the LLs only on. Or sometimes turn them all on when going into busy airspace day, or night. I recommend one circuit for all the lights.
3. I get no noise from them.

Back