What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Prince P tip

mikeholl

Hi all,
I'm building a RV-6, having bought a part built kit a couple of years ago, and have been thinking about a prop. I'll fit an 0-320 engine with maybe 160/170 hp.
I'm flying a Murphy Rebel (my last build) with a similar engine and a Prince carbon fibre P tip prop which gives remarkably good performance and fuel burn.
I'd love comments from RV flyers about these props as I've been thinking of using one on the 6.
Thanks, and Cheers from OZ.
Mike

My buddy had a 6A with a Prince P Tip prop.

His was a carburetted 0-360.

I did the acceptance flight test for him - I built and fly a 7 with IO-360 and MT c/s prop.

I knew the performance would not be the same on take off, but boy was I surprised - the initial takeoff roll was as expected for a fixed pitch prop but it just kept accelerating and accelerating !!

As I hit 140kts, I backed off the power and played around with it - smooth and fast.

Downside - it won't slow down in the pattern - just plan for it and you won't have a problem.

If you are comparing other fixed pitch props, look at the Catto 3 blade. Incredibly quick and it does slow down a little better.

Either prop would be an excellent choice for a 6.

I put a Prince prop on my RV-7A. I replaced the fixed pitch metal prop. Night and day on the performance. Would totally recommend it. Took a while to get because they make them to order.

Hi all,
I'm building a RV-6, having bought a part built kit a couple of years ago, and have been thinking about a prop. I'll fit an 0-320 engine with maybe 160/170 hp.
I'm flying a Murphy Rebel (my last build) with a similar engine and a Prince carbon fibre P tip prop which gives remarkably good performance and fuel burn.
I'd love comments from RV flyers about these props as I've been thinking of using one on the 6.
Thanks, and Cheers from OZ.
Mike

I purchased my RV8 with a tire O-360 A4A and a carbon Prince P-tip prop. It only weighed 12lbs, and it flew remarkable well. Take off and cruise performance was very good for a FP prop.

I got around 2250-2350rpm static and it would cruise at 160kts TAS at 2450. At DA 8000 WAT w/ 2700rpm it flew at 172 KTS TAS with some leaning. I suspect if I leaned more I would have over rpmed the engine.

Lonie Prince said they pitch the propeller for top speed and they get approximately 4in of pitch change takeoff/cruise. If I changed anything, it would be a little more pitch for cruise.

Overall, It was a very good prop and if I was going FP, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

Hi all,
Thanks for your comments. I've certainly been pleased with the prop on the Murphy and I'm pleased to hear they work well on RVs as well.
I guess the comment about slowing is good for me to hear as Murphys don't need so much slowing down!
Thanks again and Cheers
Mike

Back