What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV7A Instructor

calake

My 30 year old son wants to get a pilot license. I have a 12 year old RV7A but I am not an instructor. Looking for someone in the Auburn, WA or Renton, WA area that can teach either in my plane or another RV7A.

Is there something special I must do to have my son take a check ride in my airplane?

Any insight about insuring my son while he gets a license?

Thanks,

RV33WE
C A Mansfield

My 30 year old son wants to get a pilot license. I have a 12 year old RV7A but I am not an instructor. Looking for someone in the Auburn, WA or Renton, WA area that can teach either in my plane or another RV7A.

Is there something special I must do to have my son take a check ride in my airplane?

Any insight about insuring my son while he gets a license?

Thanks,

RV33WE
C A Mansfield

I believe you need a Letter of Deviation Authority (LODA) from your FSDO to use an experimental for instruction. This is even required if the instruction is "free" since technically the instructor is being compensated by the value of building/logging time.

More info here.
https://www.eaa.org/eaa/news-and-pu...rimary-category-aircraft-flight-training-faqs

Only your insurance agent can answer your insurance question. But the call is free. Make sure you’re sitting down before getting the answer.
Either you or the cfi will need the one-year-old LODA for legal reasons. If you don’t have one, get one. It’s all done via email, quick and easy.
You understand that your adult son may not pay or otherwise compensate the owner (you) for its use. For that reason finding ‘another RV7’ is virtually impossible. The CFI may absolutely not furnish an EAB for your son (unless he is not paid in any way).
FAA designated examiners are allowed to decline, or accept, using an EAB for a check ride. Here in the Bay area there is a huge shortage of examiners, making this even harder.
I know at least one owner who obtained his cfi certificate specifically to teach his daughter. I know of others who sent their children to the FBO’s flight school, after seeing what insurance on their RV would be.
Whatever path your son takes, best of luck. Where there’s a will, there’s a way.

Back