What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip-Up Seal to prevent water leaking

TCONROY

Well Known Member
I have been flying my -7 since April and on just a couple occasions have found some drops of water on the floor carpet under the forward tip-up structure. I am sure it is coming through the scalloped holes on the forward panel support (circled red in picture). What are other builders doing to seal those holes? It seems they are to large to fill with RTV...

rsz_1img_8667.jpg

I filled those with a sealant (don't recall exactly what at the moment), and used a continuous seal where the tip-up closes on the frame.
The 2 spots I have been unable to seal completely are the hinge points. Be sure nothing water sensitive is below those locations.
If you come up with a good idea - be sure to share :eek:

I used pro-seal when I riveted that skin on, and a couple of the biggest holes opened and I have yet to go fill them again. For the hinges, I made a special aluminum bracket that is RTV sealed in place to completely block all water from exiting aft of the sub-panel. I still have to deal with the water forward of that panel with some sort of plastic or fiberglass.

Sealing triagular holes

I made some rubberized fiberglass by impregnating some fiberglass tape with a silicone adhesive. After curing, cut out some triangular pieces to cover the holes, and glue them underneath the forward panel.

Warren
RV-7
Plymouth, MN

Tip-up Seal

This is what I did:
CanopyHingeDripedge3.jpg

WaterprrofcoverVelcro.jpg

Waterproofcover1.jpg

Be sure that the drip edge is sealed to the bulkhead prior to riveting. As you can see above, I used pop-rivets, and used them to hold the velcro in place as well.

I have been flying my -7 since April and on just a couple occasions have found some drops of water on the floor carpet under the forward tip-up structure. I am sure it is coming through the scalloped holes on the forward panel support (circled red in picture). What are other builders doing to seal those holes? It seems they are to large to fill with RTV...

rsz_1img_8667.jpg

I covered the scallop holes with aluminum tape before applying the rubber channel seal. My canopy leaks a bit, although it is not related to the scallops. I always carry a canopy cover when travelling in case I need to leave the plane outside in a downpour.
Jay

Back