What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Difficulties in installing flap

rv6builder48138

I'm having problems installing the flap on the left wing. When I pin the flap to the wing, the upper surface of the flap presses so hard on the trailing edge of the wing skin that it takes a fair amount of effort to move the flap up and down. If I hold the flap in position (without pinning it) so the upper surface merely touches the upper skin, the hinge eyes on the flap stick out below the lower surface of the wing. (hope that makes sense). I noticed that the hinge eyes on the trailing edge of the lower wing, and the trailing edge itself are not dead straight.

The flap was aligned with the aileron when I pin the flap in place, so I'm clueless as to what I did wrong, and I'm at a loss as to how to fix the problem. Anyone run into the same problem, and have any ideas as to what to do? :confused:

rv6builder48138 said:
I I noticed that the hinge eyes on the trailing edge of the lower wing, and the trailing edge itself are not dead straight.

:confused:
In the squeezing/riveting of the hinge, the hinge itself may have been deformed so that the eyes on one half are binding against the eyes on the other half. But, still you were able to get the pin inserted? That part sounds odd.

See if you can detect if the eyes are, in fact, hitting each other and if so, try filing one just a bit to see if that eliminates the friction.

Check that the flap spar is in the correct orientation. There is an up and a down on that spar (different angles on each web). If it was built 'inverted' that could account for the tightness).

Ask me how I know to check for this? :)

Best,

Back