What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brake Master Cylinder brands

mdavis15

I'm New Here
I am still building an early RV-6 kit (1991 vintage). I have replaced the original rudder pedals with the hanging type, and now I want to add co-pilot brakes. I have fabricated 4 brake pedals and now have to buy a couple of master cylinders.

I suspect that my original master cylinders are Cleveland. Does it matter if I the new co-pilot cylinders are Matco or Grove?

Thanks in advance for advice.

Mark Davis

Me too.

I have the same situation, Mark. My older kit came with Cleveland cylinders and I purchased the Matco kit from Vans for the c/p side. I priced the Clevelands and they were very expensive. Wish I had an answer for you but I'm curious myself.

Your choice

I am not an expert here but you got no replies so here's my two cents.

I had a similar situation, the original 6A kit had one set of Clevelands. The purchaser of the kit ordered copilot brakes and got Matcos.

I tried to buy a second set of Clevelands (10-30???) but they were either unavailable or priced like gold bars. Couldn't find any on the used market. My past experience with Clevelands on a certified rebuild of the hydraulics was a nightmare, but probably partially due to not having done it before. It seems like the O-rings were non standard or real expensive and had to be gotten from Cleveland.

So I sold both sets and bought a set of Groves, with the intention of adding a second Groves later.

Groves were more expensive than Matco but IMHO were better made. Van's has a habit of using the *most inexpensive* option when putting together the kit.

Most builders opt to or have to install external springs on the Matco cylinders so they work reliably. Groves springs are stainless and internal. Groves, IIRC have a little more braking pressure.

In answer to your question, can you mix and match? Probably. Each set will function independently and shouldn't affect the other set.

Dave A.

My -6 was converted to overhead pedals when being built. The left side has cleveland master cylinders which originally came with the fuse kit. The right side has matco master cylinders which came later with the right side brake kit. The setup works just fine. I did add external return springs to the matco cylinders.

I am in the same "boat" .. Can not see why the Matco should not work .. they are just simple piston cylinders as far as i can make out ...

Shame the Cleveland cylinders are so expensive ... They sure look nice ..

Jan

Grove

I used Grove when I retrofitted right seat brakes, and love them. Spring already included.....AND the added feature of an adjustable-length rod. The advantage of the adjustment is that you can lengthen/shorten the rod to adjust the pedal tilt angle to suit you.

In other words, if you want the pedal tops more forward so you don't mistakenly hit the brakes while taxiing or landing, you merely screw the rod in or out. :)

Without the adjust feature, you have to redrill the pedal tab. :(

Thanks for the help guys. I will probably buy a set of Matco cylinders, since I have not drilled the pedals for the attachment yet. They are around 1/2 the price of the Grove cylinders.

Mark

PC Hunt

What is the Grove part number ? I like the idea of the spring included ... and having some adjustment on the rod is a good idea ...

Jan

I used Grove when I retrofitted right seat brakes, and love them. Spring already included.....AND the added feature of an adjustable-length rod.

Ditto the request for the Grove part number. I looked in ACS and there is a page full of Grove cylinders and I didn't find any that listed a 'range' on the hole-to-hole distance. :)

I switched my 7 over to grove wheels/brakes and master cyl, call them and they will get you the correct part, nice folks and very high quality stuff.

Grove P/N

Just now saw your post asking for the part number. I will try to post a P/N here, but may have to wait until Monday, when Grove is open.

As mentioned above, if you call Grove, they will tell you which P/N you need based on your particular aircraft. http://www.groveaircraft.com

PC Hunt

What is the Grove part number ? I like the idea of the spring included ... and having some adjustment on the rod is a good idea ...

Jan

Back