What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transponder/ADS-B tail number mismatch

BOORSMA

I just got a call and follow up e-mail from the FAA saying that my ADS-B output tail number did not match my Transponder tail number. The transponder output is correct but the last two digits on the ADS-B tail number were incorrect. I have no idea what could cause this since I only know of entering the tail number in the Dynon system one time during set-up.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

This is fairly typical as quite a few planes are flying around with misconfigured equipment (of all makes).. You can take a pic of Dynon config and post it here..

Did they tell you what values you were sending out or just "it's off..."

PS. what's your tail number?

I found a very useful site to convert your N number into IACO format. I used that input to change it in the Skyview, then flew an confirmed with ARTCC while in the air. The site is: avionictools.com.

I found a very useful site to convert your N number into IACO format. I used that input to change it in the Skyview, then flew an confirmed with ARTCC while in the air. The site is: avionictools.com.

Do you need that conversion any more?

The FAA registration online data base now gives the Mode S code in both octal and hexadecimal formats.

The IACO standard is the base 16 hex code, and that is what Skyview requires.

I went into the set-up menu and the tail number and hex code are correct. I got an e-mail from Dynon that said I may have to wait when I turn on the master switch until the system is completely up and running before I turn on the avionics rocker switch. That will give the unit time to load properly and send the correct signal to the transponder/ADS-B.

I will give that a try and let everyone know how that works out.

I have my doubts that will fix your problem. I say that because I never turn off my switches. I just use the master and leave all the others on. I've not had a problem with the ID that I know.

It's got to be a setup issue.

If you are running V14 of our software, the ICAO code is automatically calculated by SkyView. However, if you mis-entered it before V14, it won't be corrected. Change your tail number up and down 1 digit and it will fix it.

V15 auto fixes it for you.

If you started with V13 or earlier, you had to enter the ICAO code manually, and you could have just gotten a digit off.

There is a different "bug" that can exist with powering on the transponder which is what our support team was trying to communicated. This was fixed in the transponder software version released about a year ago. Make sure your transponder is up to date. If it is (you're on V14 or V15 and it doesn't show an update for the transponder) then this isn't your issue.

I installed a FreeFlight system, and screwed up the ICAO code when I set it up. After a call to FAA I figured it out. Now it's all smiley faces!😁

Back