What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotate Lord Mounts

larryMar

Well Known Member
Is there any merit in rotating lord mounts with dynafocal Lycoming? Some Beechcraft has it written in service manual. Would the practice be worth the efforts? Anyone doing it?

Thanks

There are actually a lot of different LORD mount part numbers and designs, so before I followed the procedures in the book for another aircraft, I’d see which specific LORD mounts it uses, and how those relate to what you have on your specific aircraft.

The LORD mount used most commonly in our Dynafocal RV mounts have a “hard” donut and a “soft” donut, and you mount them differently depending if they are on the top or the bottom. But the “hard” ones are always mounted in compression and the “soft” ones on the tension side - so I don’t know what rotating them would do for you, unless you have some left to right wear that needs to be evened out.

The bottom line in my book is that I have never rotated them - I might be the only one - and have never had any issues. I generally replace them at engine overhaul, simply because that’s when the engine is off!

Paul

...but

That is not true for the RV-10...all the mounts are the same part number...

See FF1-5, part number J-3804-20...

Last edited:

I've been researching this carefully the last few days as I have to replace some oil damaged mounts on my install. The J-3804-20 isn't the "part" number, it's the kit number. The Lord kit consist of the two half, a spacer, and a washer. The kit consist of different components which have their own "part" numbers. Lord calls them component numbers. So, when you order a kit, you get both a compression and a tension half. As Paul says, the compression half (slightly larger and with no bulge) goes towards the firewall on the bottom and towards the prop on the top mount.

Don’t think so

When I purchased those mount from vans, every one of the eight rubber mounts had the same part number. When I called builder assist, they said on the -10 they were all the same. In fact, I called and talked to a different person several days later to verify...same answer.

So there is that...this occurred about 3 years ago, for a time frame reference...

Good to point out that it is different for the -10....but I looked up the OP’s “RV of interest”, and he had put down a -7, so I answered that way (since he wasn’t specific in the original post).

RV-10 owners should know that TMMV....

Paul

Last edited:
Paul, you are correct. I did call Lord, and was told that with the compression/tension mounts on the dynafocal mounts like you describe, rotation does not have a benefit. On those mounts that are the same rubber part for both sides, there is an advantage to rotation.

Thanks for the help.

Back