What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron leading edge bulge

Niko Lamberg

I'm New Here
Hi,

In both of my ailerons the forward skin (leading edge skin) is bulging out on the bottom side between the counterbalance pipe and spar.

ACtC-3cDmIK4tMO41RZJm5tiPnPKYR7BQ25PFXitI0AueLUXHPRp_OfD50GJ65VQcaF2HU6_mJp-aeb8vOo6Z8BQTByhZ-SajKPka5gderK5C8_8aDPo3l-AQ2vrWB4MkTLDyOAgof8We0bzMJXVW7WktNH-vw=w954-h1272-no

The bulge appears only in the middle. The edges where the forward ribs are located, are straight.

Has anyone seen this phenomenon in their ailerons? I'm wondering if this is normal or something that I should be concerned of. The leading edges and forward skins are straight on both ailerons.

Here is a link to the image in case the above embed doesn't work: https://photos.app.goo.gl/vxnNDoTct1XxDRUw9

Niko

Last edited:
I'm replying to my own post, as I just got an answer from Van's. The bulge is apparently quite common and it shouldn't have any effect on the performance of the aileron.

Just in case someone is facing a similar issue.

Niko

Hello Niko

I recommend the builder I support, to buy one or two ribs more, place them in the center of the aileron, only riveted to the spar is already enough. It prevents bulging the skin, by positioning the counterbalance weight correctly. Otherwise, the tube gets bent and the skin follows.

It is not the bulging that I do not like, it is the different bulging that I do not like. Check once the form of the aileron close by the attachment points and in the center.
Also when the aileron is installed at the wing, left and right it fit good, but in the center is hangs down, is clearly visible if you look along the bottom skin to the aileron leading edge.

The aileron, the form, the position to the wing, and also the trailing edge has quite an impact on the control forces.

Hello Niko

I recommend the builder I support, to buy one or two ribs more, place them in the center of the aileron, only riveted to the spar is already enough. It prevents bulging the skin, by positioning the counterbalance weight correctly. Otherwise, the tube gets bent and the skin follows.

It is not the bulging that I do not like, it is the different bulging that I do not like. Check once the form of the aileron close by the attachment points and in the center.
Also when the aileron is installed at the wing, left and right it fit good, but in the center is hangs down, is clearly visible if you look along the bottom skin to the aileron leading edge.

The aileron, the form, the position to the wing, and also the trailing edge has quite an impact on the control forces.
Hi Dominik,

Thank you for the good suggestion. Indeed, bending of the counterweight pipe seems to be causing this. I already closed both of the ailerons and will probably build on as they are otherwise completely straight. But I'll definitely look into this in case of any further issues when fitting the ailerons.

All the best,

Niko

Last edited:
Sorry to disagree

Sorry to disagree, but this appears to be caused by the aileron skin not being bent into shape fully prior to riveting to the structure/pipe.

When I built my flaps and aileron for my 9A (step sister to the 7), I had to massage the leading edge bend to get the flap/ aileron skin to sit right. I bet if he/she sights down the leading edge, the leading edge pipe bows in towards the center. it should be true and straight.

So I would ask if the builder did he/she just took the skin from the box, or did he/she massage it till the natural bend fit the ribs transition angle from the pipe radius?

Back