What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon

dspender

Well Known Member
Does the Dynon collection of Avionics products include a navigation product such as Garmin does with their GTN 650 or 750?

No, but many (like me) are waiting and hoping for them to do so. In the meantime you have to pick the best of the current bad options out there for a TSO GPS navigator.

I installed a GTN-650 on the last four dual SkyView panels I made.

Carl

Navigator options

No, but many (like me) are waiting and hoping for them to do so. In the meantime you have to pick the best of the current bad options out there for a TSO GPS navigator.

I installed a GTN-650 on the last four dual SkyView panels I made.

Carl

Have you tried the Avidyne IFD series of Navigators? A couple of years ago I traded in my 430W for an IFD440 and would call that a very "good option"..

Thanks to all. I was not dissatisfied with my Garmin panel in my 10. Just wanting to explore other vendors and make sure of my decision before I outfit my 14a build.

Another +1 for the Avidyne IFD440. I have one in my 9A and one in the C-172.

The Dynon will interface to the Garmin 650, 750, 175, etc. navigators (same goes for Avidyne) through it's ARINC and serial networks. The display of navigation information and auto pilot integration will be the same as on a Garmin system so you can really choose which ever system you like. My Dynon is linked to a Garmin GNS 480 so VOR/ILS, RNAV GPS to LPV minimums are all available.

I also went the Skyview-GTN650 route, and it works great for full-up IFR through the Dynon ARINC module. Full up flight directors, autopilot hook-up, etc.
I can’t say whether it’s better or worse than the Avedine approach, but my Skyview-650 setup is mighty fine.
I have upgraded both to HDX and GTN650Xi.

The Avidynes are truly excellent navigators. In that price point, there's a lot of bang for the buck. I'd love to own one.

I do wish Avidyne was more competitive at the lower price points - Garmin is doing some pretty amazing things down in the $5K price point with the GPS175, for example, or a GPS/COM like the GNC355 for a little more money.

Back