What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trim Tab advice needed

Flyguysr5

Are you better off with a longer length tab with less offset or a shorter length tab with more offset? ratio of length to cord etc?

Are you better off with a longer length tab with less offset or a shorter length tab with more offset? ratio of length to cord etc?

I went with a longer span (aa little less that 12") and moderate cord (about 2"). Mine hangs off the back of the rudder (not w wedge) and the trailing edge offset is about 1/4". Can't say though if it is better or worse than any other.

I was trying to stay with a wedge so it doesn't hang over and get bent. Thought more of the aerodynamic guys would weigh in on this one.

for my 10, I used an 11" section of the AEX wedge material used for trailing edges on some models. Works well and barely visible. Not an aero engineer, but doubt there is a difference between short/fat and long/thin. The drag is from forcing the rudder from it's neutral position.

Larry

I was trying to stay with a wedge so it doesn't hang over and get bent. Thought more of the aerodynamic guys would weigh in on this one.

The good thing about a bendable tab is that it can be adjusted to center the ball at cruise. Once there, it shouldn't need adjusting again unless you start cruising faster - say you reduce the drag on your airplane or choose to carry more power.

Ed Holyoke

Back