What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Cooler Remote Mount

Doug Rohrer

Well Known Member
I am at the point on my -9A build where I have to mount the oil cooler. After reading the instructions and seeing all the cracking problems on VAF, I think I want to mount my oil cooler on the firewall and run a duct to it. I had this arrangement on a previous -9A and it worked OK. The problem is Van's no longer carries the remote oil cooler installation kit. Anyone know where I can source a similar kit? Thanks.

Remote Mount

The -10 is way bigger and would need to be modified to fit the smaller oil cooler I have. After posting, I found the same kit Van's used to sell at ACS, just more expensive. I have it on order now.

Can you point me in the right direction

I can?t find the remote oil cooler mount at ACS. Can you give me a part number or something?
Thanks!

Oil Cooler Mount

Steve, search for Part# 08-05000. In stock.

Cost is about $55. It fit perfectly onto the oil cooler supplied with my FWF kit for my O-320 engine. You will also need a foot or so of 3" SCAT or SKEET ducting. Good luck.

Steve, search for Part# 08-05000. In stock.

Cost is about $55. It fit perfectly onto the oil cooler supplied with my FWF kit for my O-320 engine. You will also need a foot or so of 3" SCAT or SKEET ducting. Good luck.

If you can upgrade to a larger flange and duct, you'll probably be happier. The Matronics archives are full of comments from people who used 3" ducts and remote coolers and didn't get sufficient cooling back in the day.

Just another data point: you can find many threads talking about beefing up the baffling in that area to avoid cracks from the oil cooler weight. I did that and am crack free with 650 hours on the 6A / IO-320.

Larry

I will warn against the kit you see on ACS. I started with that kit and ended up modifying it numerous times. If there is any way to use larger than 3" you will want to do that. I have a RV-9 with IO320 and there was not room on the engine mount to pass a larger duct. I believe this is different on an A model.
I am still using a 3" SCAT but have molded a fiberglass transition from 3" to square both at the cooler and baffle. So in the end the only useful part of the kit was a couple of pieces of angle which I already had about 17' of.

Back