What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ads b out tips?

RickWoodall

Well Known Member
Been away from here for a bit due to work. Sad.
Anyway just starting to do my research as i need to get adsb out on my bird.

For those that enjoy the tech and know whats out there... any tips.
Vfr bird, equipped with dynon skyview, dynon gps, a/p and syn view, mgl v10 com and garmin 327 transponder. Ipad with foreflight and stratus with adsb in.

I believe i can dump garmin 327 and switch to dynon trans and be good.
I believe there is an ad on to make the 327 ads b.
I know there are a ton of other solutions with other gear.

Anyone mind chiming in on cost effective quality solution? Been super happy with all my equip so far, dynon, garmin all no issues. If i went the dynon way i might also swap out my comm for dynon too and get that done.

Yes i know there are tons of ads b threads on here but i don know enough yet for some to make sense to me. :)

Anyway appreciate any tips from the tech savvy folks that know the products and prices. Thanks!

WAAS

Do you have a WAAS GPS source. Must be WAAS. If not, likely effective and best price option is Uavionix EchoUAT. $1400.

confusing

This is where the headaches start...
See i have old dynon gps for the skyview, so not waas. If i understand correctly, i can upgrade to this..
https://www.dynonavionics.com/gps-receiver-module.php

Just a couple hundred, then i will have dynon waas, so is that best path and get dynon transponder to replace the garmin or get the 327 ad ons to make that a solution..or, t :mad:

Glad I'm not the only one waiting until the last minute!

I'm currently running a GTX-327 and decided to go with the Garmin GDL-82 ADS-B out box which I will install this weekend. It was $1750 from Stein and includes the WAAS position source. However, you'll need to mount another GPS antenna somewhere if you utilize the GDL-82s internal WAAS GPS position. If you have the option of upgrading your existing antenna/ recvr I'd go with that as it will be cleaner. Then you can use that as your position source in to the Uavionix or the GDL-82.

One other simple to install and low cost option is the Uavionics Tail Beacon. It is a very simple install, you just replace the white tail light with the Tail Beacon, and configure it with your iPhone/iPad or Android phone. It has it's own WAAS GPS receiver and antenna built in, and works with your existing Transponder. The only drawbacks are that it is a UAT frequency unit so only works in the USA, and it doesn't have a strobe light built in. It also doesn't have ADS-B In, but sounds like you already have that covered.

I installed one on my Grumman AA-5 in October (with help of a A&P/IA since it is not an EAB aircraft), and did the PAPR test and it works great. A very easy, simple solution for ADS-B out.

[Full Disclosure: I have installed the Garmin GTX 45R on my soon to be completed RV-10, so was looking for a simple low cost way to be compliant on my Grumman.]

Happy New Year

Just list price from dynon web site..

upgrade my dynon gps to dynon waas gps $590
dynon ads b transponder $$2200
dynon ads b in wx and traffic receiver $795

Then may as well upgrade com as mgl v10 is basic.

dynon com $1295
dynon intercom $295 OR.... do i forget dynon com and intercom and switch to PS engineerings PDA360EX as a nice upgrade while spending $$

$5200 US before tax or wiring etc. Yikes

That would be a nice upgrade, not sure if ps audio is worth the extra. Just in planning stage but will keep stratus as the ipad with foreflight and stratus is nice back up. I suppose in the scope of aviation $5K aint a ton for all this but hurts a bit.

Will keep looking for tips before i pull the trigger. I am in Canuckland so no huge rush, just need installed and tweaked before next bahamas run in late april. Thanks for tips, keep them coming.

Last edited:
Glad I'm not the only one waiting until the last minute!

I'm currently running a GTX-327 and decided to go with the Garmin GDL-82 ADS-B out box which I will install this weekend. It was $1750 from Stein and includes the WAAS position source. However, you'll need to mount another GPS antenna somewhere if you utilize the GDL-82s internal WAAS GPS position. If you have the option of upgrading your existing antenna/ recvr I'd go with that as it will be cleaner. Then you can use that as your position source in to the Uavionix or the GDL-82.
I did this same set up. Also bought it from Stein. I mounted the GPS antenna under the cowling on a platform secured to the firewall that I also got from Stein. Easy install. Works flawlessly.

Ads-B

UAvionix TailBeacon installed in our RV-8 last week in 30 minutes. I, like you, have a 327 transponder and a source for ADS-B IN (GDL-39 already permanently installed in plane when I bought it). Flew a test flight and received a perfect score. I previously installed a GDL-82 in our RV-7 and it took pretty much all day to get it in and working.

This is all you need. Everything else you mentioned has nothing to do with the ADS-B mandate.

:cool:

+1. This option. Some day Canada may require ADSB, and it will not be UAT based. You mentioned the Bahamas: I do not know, but I would check out if they support UAT.
I know of no upgrade to the 327 to make it mode S-ES (ADSB).

The following is from a COPA article on the uAvionix proposed tail beacon test for Canada. Keep in mind that the ADSB equipment for the US ground based system will probably not work for the Canadian space based system, which will require antenna diversity once mandated here.

"uAvionix is hard at work obtaining an STC for their tailBeacon X ? a Mode S ADS-B Out transponder integrated with WAAS GPS into an LED rear position light. tailBeacon X is similar to their popular 978 MHz UAT product in the U.S., but it is optimized for space-based ADS-B surveillance (Aireon and others) and is intended to meet or exceed surveillance performance of transponders with antenna diversity at significantly less cost and installation effort. They wish to address the Canadian airspace requirement for space-based ADS-B OUT.

Part of their STC process is to collect operational data and, to this effect, uAvionix will be conducting flight testing in Canada in the near future. COPA and uAvionix are in discussions to facilitate this process.

Since the product is not certified yet, the project will be executed on amateur-built (non-certified) aircraft. COPA and uAvionix are seeking a number of aircraft pilots/owners who would be willing to participate in this test program. The details are well on their way to being finalized. The information available at this point include:

uAvionix would provide a complete system with installation guidance
uAvioinx would provide a data logger for installation in the aircraft
the pilot would fly a number of flights, typically of one-hour duration or more
the pilot will need to fly a minimum number of flights during that period (to be determined)
the pilot would enter data in a dedicated website link for uAvionix analysis
the test program aims to be completed by the end of Feb 2020 (an aggressive schedule)
at completion of the flight test program, the participants would get to keep the equipment, except the data logger, as a gift in appreciation of their support to this effort"

I would expect that once Nav Canada and TC finalize the requirements and the deadline (currently not expected before 2023 for GA) there will be more options that will become available.

I put a uAvionix Tailbeacon on the Mooney. I have a GTX330. Works great and install took like 30 minutes. Finding an IA to sign off and file the 337 actually took longer than actually installing it!

For your existing set up I would keep the GTX 327 and go with:

1. ) uAvionix EchoUAT with SkyFX kit (approx $1400) with SkyFX under cowling (in/out)

2.) Garmin GDL 82 kit ($1700) with included GA 35 WAAS antenna under cowling (out only)

The Echo will give you the addition of in at a lower price. With the GDL 82 you could add any in device you like. And both of these options offer anonymous mode.

"uAvionix is hard at work obtaining an STC for their tailBeacon X ? a Mode S ADS-B Out transponder integrated with WAAS GPS into an LED rear position light. tailBeacon X is similar to their popular 978 MHz UAT product in the U.S., but it is optimized for space-based ADS-B surveillance (Aireon and others) and is intended to meet or exceed surveillance performance of transponders with antenna diversity at significantly less cost and installation effort. They wish to address the Canadian airspace requirement for space-based ADS-B OUT."
Note that the tailBeacon X is a full 1090ES transponder with WAAS GPS and integral diverse antennas, which means it meets both current US ADS-B requirements as well as the proposed Canadian ADS-B requirement. It will probably be the simplest solution overall... But price hasn't been announced yet.

Those of you going with the tailbeacon, what are you doing for rear anti collision lights? It appears to me the tailbeacon is only nav, my current taillight is a LED nav/strobe. front anti collision is in the wingtips so not visible from the rear. I'd really like the simple install but not sure what to do about the strobe.

I believe uAvonix has an experimental version wing tip unit for something like $750. Check their website.

questions

Nice to see i am not the only one puzzled by all the choices and variables.

Need compliant in US and Canada even though target is still moving in Canada.

Do you go with cheapest option and get it done?
Do you get the dynon brand in and out feeds so if spending money, you get the benefit of traffic showing on skyview?

Ugghh. Just not a simple solution nor even one i even know what i kind of want yet. Appreciate the info so far, will evaluate all options and pick one and move it forward.

Note that the tailBeacon X is a full 1090ES transponder with WAAS GPS and integral diverse antennas, which means it meets both current US ADS-B requirements as well as the proposed Canadian ADS-B requirement. It will probably be the simplest solution overall... But price hasn't been announced yet.

Another reason to keep waiting while I can.

Need compliant in US and Canada even though target is still moving in Canada.
The simple answer in that case is a drop-in upgrade to whatever you have now. Your current transponder will be fine in Canada. A uAvionix skyBeacon or tailBeacon would provide wingtip- or tail-mounted ADS-B out for the US. Those are 1-wire upgrades, reconnect your wingtip or tail power to the unit, mount it, program, and done. No tearing into the airframe.

If and when Canada decides what they're doing, there will still be a market for the 1-wire option you have... You could sell it into the US for someone who doesn't care about coming north.

If you can wait, wait for the tailBeacon X.

Since you have the SkyView, you will need / want to do the following:

1. Replace the Garmin transponder with Dynon's.
2. Replace your current SkyView GPS antenna.
3. Install the Dynon ADS-B box
4. Add the ADS-B antenna on the bottom of your plane.
5. Wire it together, which is easy.

I did all that and am VERY pleased with the results. Traffic is displayed in the SkyView, airport dots turn red when IFR, you can press and hold the baro button and the SkyView will update the baro setting from the nearest reporting station, and much much more.

Do you have a WAAS GPS source. Must be WAAS. If not, likely effective and best price option is Uavionix EchoUAT. $1400.

Technically, I don't believe this is correct. In a practical sense, it is more correct. I believe there is an official FAA letter that actually interprets the GPS requirements and the older TSO'd GPS receivers, which were not WAAS, do meet the requirements of the law. I believe these were the TSO C129a receivers such as the KLN-89b, etc. At any rate, if you don't have one of these older receivers to act as your GPS position source, then there is no choice but to have an approved WAAS type GPS. (Note, WAAS alone is not sufficient.).

I did all that and am VERY pleased with the results. Traffic is displayed in the SkyView, airport dots turn red when IFR, you can press and hold the baro button and the SkyView will update the baro setting from the nearest reporting station, and much much more.

"SHOULD" do:

May "WANT" to do:

;)

May "WANT" to do:

;)

If you don't so this, you don't get the integration with the SkyView, which is really good and makes the expense worthwhile.

Any ADSB Out Price Drop Already?

I'm wondering if someone already saw any market price change for ADSB Out solutions?
Probably we will need couple months to see price change? (hope for less :D )
Thank you.

Rick
I would replace the transponder with the trig tt22,aka the Dynon unit. Make sure it is the higher power unit as the low wattage one is not certified for use in class c airspace.The gps module upgrade for waas is required(I think this is a uvionics module) belly mounted antenna for now. You are good to go for Adsb out 1090 as you want in Canada. For adsb in you can stay with what you have or upgrade whenever.

I use the tt22 and the was gps module with my GRT system and it works great. I think the parts are the same with Dynon but the pin outs are different. The diversity antenna requirements are not final yet and will likely apply over 18000 feet. In Europe the belly mount antenna work great but not in Canada with the same satellites???

Jack

I did something very similar in my RV-10 and have absolutely no regrets. The only variables were that I have AFS EFIS and already had a GTN 650.

You?re not going to find any options that are going to be better integrated with your Dynon screens. The remote transponder is one less item on the panel. It gives you 1090ES for compatibility across North America. The 472 gives you both 1090 and 970, in addition to the FAA feed. Having the peer to peer input is really nice in areas where you may be out of line of sight with an ADSB tower.

In Canada you will only need the ADSB in class B in 2022. Class A in 2021. That is airspace above 12500 for B and above 18000 for A. Our major airports are class C only so it doesn?t look like it will effect GA much here unless you often fly above 12500 in CVFR or IFR. You need clearance to go above 12499 anyway.

So if nothing changes before then anyone with ADS-B UAT or for that matter anyone without ADS-B OUT would still be able to fly to Canada as long as they stay below 12,500?

So if nothing changes before then anyone with ADS-B UAT or for that matter anyone without ADS-B OUT would still be able to fly to Canada as long as they stay below 12,500?

Until they implement the class C and D which may only be 2023 or later, that would be correct. I may be wrong but even after that if you stay out of the implemented airspace you would not need ADSB.

UAvionix TailbeaconX if you can wait. When these go on sale I think they will be the hot ticket for pilots wanting the ability to fly outside of the USA and be ADSB compliant! Canada and Mexico plan to require 1090 in certain parts of their countries

https://uavionix.com/faq_category/tailbeaconx/

https://uavionix.com/support/tailbeacon-x-support/

https://www.aopa.org/go-fly/aircraft-and-ownership/ads-b/where-is-ads-b-out-required

The only issue with UAVionix tailBeacon and RV's is that the tailBeacon does not include a strobe, only a position light.

https://uavionix.com/products/tailbeacon/

This means that for those of us with position light/strobes on the rudder bottom this is a no-go item, unless you want to mount an ugly rotating beacon on the top and bottom of your RV.

TailBeaconX would be a great solution for USA and WorldWide...

But no strobe :( (maybe because of interference) and as per uAvionics, the unit must have a clear view of the sky for the GPS.

Typically, mounted to the top of the rudder.
If mounted on the lower rudder of an RV, possibly the elevators would partially block the GPS signal ???

Would be nice to have a WingTipBeaconX with strobe...:cool:

As of 11/2019, it seems that only these EFIS are compatible to control the unit:
GRT
MINI-B
MINI-AP
MINI-X
Sport EX
Horizon

MGL
iEFIS

Otherwise, you need to install their control head AV-20E or AV-30E

Last edited:
Solution to TB-X strobe issue.

Nothing says you can't have 2 lamps back there, the TB-X in one fairing and a FlyLED stand alone tail lamp/strobe (cheap & light) in another fairing. This would mean fabricating a simple fairing (gosh, impossible task for some buyer/kit assembler types, maybe somebody will offer a product for this) for the top of the rudder (or maybe mid rudder).

There's always a way

Last edited:
Solution to TB-X strobe issue.

Nothing says you can't have 2 lamps back there, the TB-X in one fairing and a FlyLED stand alone tail lamp/strobe (cheap & light) in another fairing. This would mean fabricating a simple fairing (gosh, impossible task for some buyer/kit assembler types, maybe somebody will offer a product for this) for the top of the rudder (or maybe mid rudder).

There's always a way

Now you?re playing with a proven design on a control surface. Take a stab at it and let us know how that works.

Now you?re playing with a proven design on a control surface. Take a stab at it and let us know how that works.

Just threw out a suggestion...

World events pushed back my need for ADS-B so I won't be investing for probably another year. Maybe a better idea or product will surface in the mean time, we'll see.
Maybe in time for you too, as you have been commenting on this for a long time.

Just threw out a suggestion...

World events pushed back my need for ADS-B so I won't be investing for probably another year. Maybe a better idea or product will surface in the mean time, we'll see.
Maybe in time for you too, as you have been commenting on this for a long time.

I haven?t bought anything because where I fly from Texaas to Arizona to Florida I don?t need it.

Yep.
Just curious why so product critical if you probably won't be equipping for this?
If everybody just went along with everything else people say we wouldn?t have innovation. Not all products are great from the get-go ( that?s why there are revisions and upgrades ). I?ll eventually equip and I haven?t yet because I don?t need to but if you look on the classified section I?m always looking to buy one if it makes sense at the time.

I've seen a few RVs with double rudder lamp bumps. One for the light, and one for a strobe. No big deal.

Back