What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trailering the RV 10

togaflyer

Well Known Member
I may need to relocate the plane project 600 miles via ground transport. I know I need to remove the horizontal, does the vertical and rudder require removal. What is the safest way to transport it that distance and what do you use to move it. Thanks

The rudder mounts to the vertical and the vertical mounts to the horizontal, so it will all need to come off. It will fit in a Penske truck or maybe a UHaul.

Rich,
The issue I found with trucks was that none were wide enough interior dimension to clear the landing gear. Make sure you measure the width of the gear legs. I transported mine on a flat bed tow truck. I put my wings and tail in a penske truck. Good Luck

Fuse fits with gear on and pants off in a 26' Penske. Have to go in at an angle and do one wheel at a time to clear.

I may need to relocate the plane project 600 miles via ground transport. I know I need to remove the horizontal, does the vertical and rudder require removal. What is the safest way to transport it that distance and what do you use to move it. Thanks

You can't remove the horizontal without taking off the vertical. If your aircraft is on it's gear, the vertical will most likely be too tall for your truck.

Without the gear, it will fit in just about any box truck. Truck boxes that can accommodate the 8' wheel base are very rare.

Hopefully your engine isn't mounted. That makes loading the aircraft into the truck much more awkward. Four guys can lift the fuselage if the engine isn't mounted.

I used a standard Uhaul to move the project from the house to the airport. No engine, no tail feathers, no gear, and wings in the cradle. When I took it to the paint shop, I used a standard flat bed tow truck. That would be very expensive going 600 miles.

Fits a 26' Penske

I did it in a 26' Penske truck with the gear on. Same experience that you have to angle it a little for the gear to fit. The tail needs to be off (HS and VS).

It went in with about 5 of Jesse Saint's guys just lifting it. It came out with me attaching an engine hoist to the engine mount (straps to both sides of the mount to prevent rolling). For that, I put it in the truck tail first. This put all the weight on the tail until the gear is on the ground, so you need to have a good stable support for the tail to sit on. I had it on a dolly so the tail could roll down the truck ramp, but there might be other ways.

Rick

Thanks. Alot depends on Irma. If it breaks East, Then I can finish the plane up in Punta Gorda. If it goes West, well the plane goes on the back burner and it will need to go North later to get finished. This weekend will be the decider. So close, but yet so far away, as the song goes.........

Ok if I were to use a Penski truck, does the engine and prop need to come off. All that is left to finish the plane is the QB wings. So I am dealing with an almost completed fuselage. Will this still work in a Penski trcuk, or should I try to find a flat tilt bed truck for hire. How did you ramp it up inside. Did you fabricated some ramps, go to Harbor Freight and by some or. Looks like Irma is going to set me back significantly, so if the hanger is still around next week, I need to move the plane to Georgia to finish. If its not, then I need not worry about finishing the plane. Thanks for your input.

Penske truck

I did not have my engine mounted, so I cannot say that it would work with the engine on. I had a friend who fabricated ramps for moving his rv-9 fuselage, but i can't remember if he had his engine on.

Back