What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

antennas vs coax cable spacing

NTex

Well Known Member
When picking out antenna mounting locations, are the separation requirements for spacing for the physical antenna or does it apply to the coaxial cable that carries the signal as well? Looks like basically every antenna hates the other one, and they all need to be about 3 feet apart.

This might be an obvious question, but I'm a little confused. Obviously a legacy radio stack would have the GPS, COM, NAV, XPDR, etc. all on top of each other and presumably the coax wires would touch and violate the spacing requirements.

I'm finalizing the antenna locations, and have them all separated, but the coax cables will run through the same holes in the spar. Is that a problem?

Thanks
Chris

Chris,
The requirements are for the antennas. The coax/signal runs are generally fine to be grouped together. Just make sure you use the coax cable type required by the manufacturer.

--Ian Jordan
Dynon Avionics

Awesome.

Thanks Ian for the quick response.

It made sense that it's the antenna separation that matters, not the coax - but I learn something new each time I look at avionics.

Back