What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cutting tip-up latch slot in 705G angle bracket...

Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
How did you cut the tip-up canopy latch slot in the 705G angle bracket. I've tried a couple of differ things on a scrap and am not happy with the results.

Thanks,
michael-

I clamped a piece of stainless to the skin and used it as a guide as I cut with my dremel and cut-off wheel attachment. I finished up with a jewelers file and light sand paper.

Whoops - wrong cut. I meant the side skin cut, The angle bracket I used a small rotary file on my dremel.

Last edited:
I used a cutting wheel in a hand drill with the angle clamped in a vise to make the initial cut. Then I clecoed it to the skin and used a file to match it up. I finished with a Dremel and a rotary bit the width of the slot; a few careful passes with that and it looked like it had been machined.

I marked the slot with a sharpie, then used a center punch to drill two holes at the top and bottom. Use a drill press and clamp it down. Finished it off with some filing (ok, lots of filing) :)

I made a copy of the drawing on a transparency and then marked it on the fuse. Drilled two small holes on each end of the slot and clamped two pieces of aluminum on top and bottom as a guide. Using the drimel tool, it was an easy cut and the wheel is thin enough to stay clear of the lines. Then used a emery cloth to bring the slot right to the line. I was quite worry about it but it was far easier then I expected it. Take your time and you will be fine.

Static tubing pass through?

The bulkheads aft of 705 have a hole drilled to pass the static air tubing through, but the 705 drawings don't show this.

Should there be a hole up near the F-705G-L for this?
Seems like this would be the time to drill that hole.

The bulkheads aft of 705 have a hole drilled to pass the static air tubing through, but the 705 drawings don't show this.

Should there be a hole up near the F-705G-L for this?
Seems like this would be the time to drill that hole.

So, bumping old post but could not find a definitive answer in the plans or forums about this.

Looks like DWG 21 shows the static line traversing the F-706 and F-707 bulkheads from its aft origin going forward.

DWG 23 says to "locate static line clip between existing rivet holes and between F-902 and F-903 bulkheads".

DWG 25 shows the static line attached with clips to the F-718 longeron with the note "position between existing bulkheads if/as required". It also shows on detail K that the static line penetrates the F-724 bulkhead.

My problem is F-903 does not appear to exist, and there is no clear path of how the static line runs from F-724 forward until it shows up again forward of the F-904 spar sections.

Based on the sentences in bold and the drawings overall, it appears the static line is supposed to run more or less underneath the upper longeron/canopy deck.

Does this mean I can drill a small hole for the static line in F-705 and F-904?

Note that there may be enough clearance between F-904 and the longeron to fit the static line, so that hole may be unnecessarily based on this link

Back