What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Covid induced relocation

KJBSouth

Well Known Member
Michigan_Relocation.bmp

Last Monday (03/30/2020) I relocated the Dream Weaver from Florida to Bishop Airport in Flint, Michigan. Then, I took our mini motorhome out of the hangar and drove back to Florida. Eight hours including two fuel stops going up; three days sanitizing gas pump handles driving South.

Michigan and northern Indiana were totally socked in. The photo is from 9,500 ft. Ceilings were 4000; scattered 1300 ft. Outside air temp flitted between 27 and 32F. When ATC cleared me lower for the approach I dove at 2,000+ fpm to pass through the layer as quickly as reasonable. Even so the plane picked up some light rime ice on the leading edges and windscreen. Fortunately it quickly melted below the deck. The approach and landing were uneventful.

The relocation was done because the plane is ten months into its last twelve month condition inspection; all of my tools and hangar are in Michigan, while Dolly and I expect we will be stuck in Florida till late July.

Yes SJ, VFR on top.

I had planned just one fuel stop, KMNV Madisonville, TN. On the next leg the tailwind changed to headwind components in the 15 to 20 kt range. I perhaps could have made it, but as a precaution I selected 0I8 Cinthiana, IN for a second fuel stop. (Low fuel price, beautiful terminal) Leaving Cinthiana VFR I was getting beat up with turbulance to the point where my shoulders were hurting from the straps. Perhaps the worst continued turbulance I have ever experienced. So, I climbed through the scattered layer to 9,500 VFR. The layer closed in shortly after that.

Knowing I would need to go IFR I called ATC and answered the "qualified and current" questions to their satisfaction and was given "remain VFR on top":).

Yes SJ, VFR on top.

I had planned just one fuel stop, KMNV Madisonville, TN. On the next leg the tailwind changed to headwind components in the 15 to 20 kt range. I perhaps could have made it, but as a precaution I selected 0I8 Cinthiana, IN for a second fuel stop. (Low fuel price, beautiful terminal) Leaving Cinthiana VFR I was getting beat up with turbulance to the point where my shoulders were hurting from the straps. Perhaps the worst continued turbulance I have ever experienced. So, I climbed through the scattered layer to 9,500 VFR. The layer closed in shortly after that.

Knowing I would need to go IFR I called ATC and answered the "qualified and current" questions to their satisfaction and was given "remain VFR on top":).

Karl: Although we would have loved to have had you in Indiana, Cinthiania is in Kentucky :).......

Back