What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Basics of integrating an avionics suite with the G3X Touch

Total novice here but I'll be putting together a kit aircraft later this year and am trying to iron out the details of the avionics. I haven't purchased anything yet but I want to use the 10" G3X Touch with XM radio/weather (the GDU-465) with full ADS-B in and out support and radio and transponder integration. I definitely want to be able to enter standby frequencies simply by clicking the relevant frequency in e.g. the airport information page, but for safety in case of power failure I want a Trig radio/transponder instead of relying entirely on the EFIS. So ideally the G3X will integrate with the Trig radio and transponder instead of using Garmin's own controllers.

The radio will be the Trig TY91 and the transponder the Trig TT22. One thing I'm not quite sure of is which ADS-B controller/antenna to use. Trig makes one and so goes Garmin. Would I use Trig's? And can the Trig radio and transponder be fully or mostly integrated with the G3X? Also, aside from ADAHRS/EMS stuff, what additional controllers would I need?

I apologize for these really basic questions.

My comment is, that if you are starting a kit later this year, it is way too early to worry about avionics. Fun to dream, though!

I know the GRT HX and HXr integrate with, and can control, the Trig TT22. I do not know about the Garmin.

As to an antenna, any transponder antenna should work okay.

One thing you didn't mention is ADSB-in. Garmin pretty much works with Garmin; there's a wide range of manufacturers that work with GRT (I use Skyradar for -in).

IMHO I think once you get ADSB-in you won't want to pay XM $35/month anymore.

Garmin radios

If all you are worried about is having access to the radios if you lose the EFIS then put in a Garmin panel mount radio and transponder. You'll have manual access and not have to worry about the integration.

Andy

It's not an RV, it's a gyroplane; it only takes a few weeks at most to put together. It's tandem so there's no room for the typical airplane panel radios, but there are 2.25" slots for the radio and transponder. Garmin doesn't make anything for that but Trig does and it seems like the Trig units are quite common.

I posted here because this seems like a good resource for experimental avionics in general.

Back