What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DARS: Will my data plate stamping job fly?

ArVeeNiner

Well Known Member
So I went ahead and stamped my data plate with my Harbor Freight metal stamp kit. You can see that my name didn't fit entirely in the box.

DSCN0619-1.jpg

Is this acceptable?

My other option is to use the plain Jane, EAA plate where everything fits fine but my wife bought me the cool VAF one years ago and I really want to use it.

Thanks.

Kelly, were it me I'd have at that thing with a scotchbrite pad to include the "L" as part of the "MANUFACTURED BY" box. Mask off a rectangular extension to the right with masking tape, so you extend the box without uglifying the rest of it. A few minutes later, Walla! Looks like you intended it to be that way :)

Kelly, were it me I'd have at that thing with a scotchbrite pad to include the "L" as part of the "MANUFACTURED BY" box. Mask off a rectangular extension to the right with masking tape, so you extend the box without uglifying the rest of it. A few minutes later, Walla! Looks like you intended it to be that way :)

Yea, I was wondering if it was possible to remove the black. I haven't tried yet.

Looks like you need to add a "-" in the RV9A to match your registration. i.e. RV-9A
Other than that, It will "FLY".

I bet it will fly!

I bet the most DAR's will let it go like it is.

For others in the future.
Trophy shops will engrave the lettering for next to nothin and it looks great, better than using stamps! Might be a little hard to find a local trophy shop now a days, might have to mail it.

I photographed mine and used MS Word to show them exactly how I wanted it.

Looks like you need to add a "-" in the RV9A to match your registration. i.e. RV-9A
Other than that, It will "FLY".

Yea, I was wondering about the dash. My stamp kit didn't come with one. I'll scribe one on.

Thanks.

I bet the most DAR's will let it go like it is.

For others in the future.
Trophy shops will engrave the lettering for next to nothin and it looks great, better than using stamps! Might be a little hard to find a local trophy shop now a days, might have to mail it.

I photographed mine and used MS Word to show them exactly how I wanted it.

You know, there is a trophy shop near my work. I've tried to give that guy work twice over the years and twice he said he couldn't do the job. He gave me the thumbs down on the engraving too. I didn't bother to look for another shop.

took my data plate to a trophy shop today. They advised that they no longer do this kind of work as everything they do is with lasers.

Data plates apparently call for rotary type engraving. I think I'll just try the Harbor Freight stamps.

Tom H.

There are several online engravers who advertise they do aircraft data plates. I ordered an EAA plate, and will have one of them do the deed. They look soooooooo good done professionally.

Things Remembered

A place called "Things Remembered" engraved mine. I think they have stores in a lot of malls.

Dan

Aircraft Engravers

You could try here:

Aircraft Engravers

They do data plates and other nifty stuff. Mike Starkey has used their engraved switches in his 10 and they look really good. Mike has recommended them very highly. They do VAF data plates as well and there are examples on their site.

2nd for Aircraft Engravers

They worked both data plate and hand written individual switch labels for me. Looked good, reasonable prices.

IIRC, was not instant turnaround, but within a couple weeks.

Back