What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Poll: How Many Different RV?s have you flown?

How Many different RV's Have You Flown?

Votes: 28 12.5%

Votes: 28 12.5%

Votes: 33 14.7%

Votes: 27 12.1%

Votes: 22 9.8%
  • 5-10

Votes: 63 28.1%
  • 11-20

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • 21-30

Votes: 5 2.2%
  • >31 (too many to count...)

Votes: 7 3.1%

• Total voters

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
not differnt "Models", different RV's!

Coming as one who had never flown an RV before flying my own RV-8 for the first time, I know that most folks fly a transition trainer and then the airplane they built. The longer you stick around the community however, the greater the chance that someone will ask you to fly their own airplane ? to try it out, test it, ferry it ? whatever. It would be interesting get an idea for how many folks here have flown many different RV?s. We?ll count both PIC and time as a passenger where you got to handle the airplane, since that is legitimate experience in ?handling the airplane?.

Just a "for fun" poll to see how often folks fly different RV's....

Almost ready to order the finish kit, and have never flown in an RV.

I really need to get out more...

Can I vote?

Does a little stick time from right or back seats count? I have managed to fly 4 RVs and ride in 3 others. Never been PIC or even in the left/front seat.

Dang I never realized how many until you asked the question. I consider myself a RV rookie with only 110 RV hours. But I have logged entries covering RV-4, RV-6, RV-6a, and 2 RV-7's.

SWEET!

Passenger with stick handling time in two:

RV-7A with Walt (thanks again Walt!)
RV-9A at Vans in Oregon

Lots!

Paul,

too many to count............

My job helping builders,,,,, has led me to fly a lot of RV airplanes. I have flown 40 + different RVs.
Paul, You have time in the 'Borrowed Horse' and 'Shooter' ...I am looking forward to a little time in 'Valkrie', 'Junior',,, and the RV1 !!!.

Last edited:
Does back seat in a Rocket count? If so 2 back seat, RV4 and F1 Rocket. Thanks LEE!! Hopefully more coming.
Tom

How many different RVs have you flown

It has been my privilege to fly 11 first flights. 3 - RV3, 3 - RV4, 1 - RV6A, 2 - RV8, 1 - RV10 and 1 Rocket. Starting in 1986 I have owned 3 - RV4s. The first 2 I bought flying (after 30 seconds in the first one I knew I had found the aircraft I wanted.) I then built one (with help.) After flying my RV4s 2000 hrs. I decided I needed a Rocket. I built the F-1 and now have over 850 hrs. on it.

I have flown all models of the RVs except the RV12. My first pick is the F-1, second is the RV4. I like its very light control pressure. I even got to fly the "Franklinstein" - the original RV8 converted to the 210 hp Franklin engine.

I have many hrs. flying other owners' RVs and helping them get checked out. So my answer to the question is -- too many to count.

Thanks to Van, I have had 25 years enjoyment flying these great aircraft. Jim Winings

Just three. Two 6As and a 6, and I agreed to buy each one. I never took delivery on RV #2, but I did send the deposit.

I'll need to think long and hard before I test fly another plane. My track record is dubious. I don't seem to be able to say no.

I also rode all the way to Oshkosh and back in a 7A, but JP never once asked if I wanted fly.:confused:

Gee Wiz....I'm in the 'big' club with well over 31....too many to count. See my signature below :).

RV's flown

I feel lucky to have flown 8, owned 2 and a new build may be in my retirement plans.

Zero, nada, zilch. I am Jealous.

None so far, but I have lots of tail wheel time and I have flown YAK 52's, Bulldogs and a lovely Stampe. I love tandem seat aircraft and I suspect I will have to get to England to take up an offer given by Andy Hill to fly in his 8.

I am going to get some aerobatic training in Germany before I fly my RV-4 probably in an Extra.

Paul, too many to count............ My job helping builders,,,,, has led me to fly a lot of RV airplanes. I have flown 40 + different RVs. You have time in the 'Borrowed Horse' and 'Shooter' ...I am looking forward to a little time in 'Valkrie', 'Junior',,, and the RV1 !!!.

Uhhh, Uncle Jay, if I leave the key to 5551 can I borrow Shooter for, ummm, a few weeks? ;)

I have built/owned, a RV4, two HRIIs, one F1 rocket sport wing, and one F1 EVO, my current ride. I have built another five airplanes. First flights on 11 airplanes.

Flights
RV4 2
RV6 4?
RV7 3
RV8 1
RV9 1
RV10 3
Rockets 12
Total at least 26

Most favorite all time airplane is my current EVO with awesome 550 hours. I am now flight planning 205 knots at 11 gph and with a few more minor mods to go....
Favorite play Rocket was my first HRII, nostalgia, and light weight 1160.
Next favorites would be my RV4 and then FAHQ, Gary Wilcox's fast RV7.
And I hate to say it, but the RV10s are a pretty nice airplane, that is, if you need to fly a truck :)

Last edited:
Yep

......And I hate to say it, but the RV10s are a pretty nice airplane, that is, if you need to fly a truck :)

...our 'truck' hauled 4 of us to Sebring and back yesterday, 800 miles total, in pure comfort and gobs of elbow room for two of the 6' 4" brothers:D...did it at 200 MPH TAS as well.

Best,

I'm a slow building nobody, but I did attend Van's sheet metal school when Art Chard was teaching it at Van's home in North Plains Ore.
Ken Scott was a newby. :D It was his first class as a teacher's assistant!
When Art found out I was going to sleep in my car, he put me up for the night and fed me an elk steak he had hunted with a bow!
Van gave all us students a ride and some stick time in the NEW RV-6A, and my ride had a little bonus, we fueled at another airport.
So the prototype RV-6a was my first.
I did get a back seat ride with Rich Gross and later with Pete Idol, both RV-4s.
The RV-8 was just the ticket for me, I just couldn't bring myself to drill the first hole in my RV-4 tail kit!!. I sold the tail kit to Pete Idol (after about 8 years and a divorce, remarriage etc...) and got an RV-8. Somehow I was able to dig right in. Now It's at the airport getting final assembly....who knew?

Last edited:
The "truck" comment was just a bit of fun, hopefully taken in that light. If you are the kind of guy that likes to travel, and you could have just one plane, the RV10 would be really hard to beat.

how many Rv's flown

3 - RV-6's
2 - RV-7's
1 - RV-8A
1 - RV-9A
1 - Rv-10

Thats about it for me and they were all fun.:D

Ed Booth, Trenton, SC

RV's flown

RV-1 Not yet!
RV-3 One (hope to make it two)
RV-4 Three
RV-6 Two
RV-7 One
RV-8 Sixteen Including one built by a "Rocket Scientist"
RV-10 One

Last edited:
RV-6 Two (includes "demo" ride at Oshkosh with Mike Seager way back when) :)
RV-6A One (thanks, B-square...I also bucked a bunch of rivets on this bird)
RV-8 Two (thanks, Paul)
RV-9A One (I have officially about 12 hours of PIC in a friend's RV-9A)

So that's 6 that I can recollect. There may be more. ;)

Hey Paul...so if Rockets count, do Super 6's and Super 8's? ;)

If so, I'm at 8:

RV-6
RV-S6
RV-7A (first flight)
RV-8
RV-9
RV-9A
F1 Rocket
HRII

Cheers,
Bob

PS: How's the skiing in Mammoth this week...epic, I'll bet!

Back