What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3 empennage

Welcome, Andrew! Wow, you've arrived with your tail at a perfect time. There's a bit of an RV-3 renaissance going on right now. Three new ones have just flown in the last few weeks, and several more are underway by experienced builders here.

I'm the wrong person to answer (I'm sure someone better will be along any minute now), but I've been studying the -4 plans for a long while and the -3 plans for couple of weeks. I think the right answer's gonna be "No." But if the tail's in good shape and you're set on a -4, I bet you'll find a buyer for the tail without too much trouble.

Best wishes on your investigation and on whatever you end up choosing to build.

It's a great group here. Tell us more about yourself!

--
Stephen

Iron Eagle...

We're building a -3, and considered using .020 Skins (v standard .016) - the response from Vans was they did not offer the choice, but we could use RV-4 skins (which are available in either), but they "would need cutting down".

I would suggest the answer is therefore no from a pure size point of view, and structurally would be wary - an 1100lb 19' aircraft v 1500lb 20.5' is some difference?

Andy & Ellie Hill
RV-8 G-HILZ
RV-3B G-HILI very slow build
RV8tors

The 4 has balanced elevators and rudder the 3 does not. I would not want flutter developing if I used a 3 emp on a 4

Thanks very much for the feedback. This is such a great community. I think I will continue on with the 3. I had just wondered since my son(5) was showing great interest in flying

Thanks very much for the feedback. This is such a great community. I think I will continue on with the 3. I had just wondered since my son(5) was showing great interest in flying

My 23 month old son is already riding in the back of my -4 and loving it, sell that -3 tail and build a -4, -6, -7, -8, or -9 or buy one and get started flying. If you build a -3 you?re going to miss out on a lot of fun with your boy during his most impressionable years!

Back