What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finalizing tool kit order

riseric

Well Known Member
Patron
Hello to all,

I'm finalising my wish list for my tool kit order. (Cleaveland)

As I live in France and shipping costs can be steep, I'd like to avoid as much as possible multiple orders if I can.
I just have a few simple questions before sending the order in and would like to have input from you guys/gals that are in the actual building process.

There's a very good chance that I'll go for a standard build RV-8. For the time, I'm waiting for my empennage kit to arrive. :cool:

How many of the 3M Scotch Brite Red Hand Pads would I normally need? The proposed quantity is 4... That seems a bit thin to me... 10, 20, 30, more?

Does (300) 3/32", (150) 1/8" and (10) 3/16" Clekos seem ok?
I've seen 325 and 175 suggested elsewhere and since it's not much more expensive... I know that more can be better than less but I also want to try to avoid the overkill...

Avery and PlaneTools also suggests (10) 5/32" Clekos but not Cleaveland, what do you think?

Should I order double the quantities of drill bits just to be on the safe side?

Are 3 Sharpie Markers enough?

Are 2 back rivet tapes enough? http://www.cleavelandtoolstore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RT811
Only 1 is suggested knowing that one tape is 32.9 meters long.

How about Beolube, 1 or 2 tubes..., or more?

PlaneTools proposes straight cut snips on top of the right and left handed ones, what do you think?

PlaneTools proposes a 3/32" Pop Rivet Dimple Die, and a 1/8" Pop Rivet Dimple Die, are these usefull?

Any other suggestions from you?

Many thanks in advance !!!

Eric

My thoughts ...

Red Scotch-brite pads: mine were very large, each was big enough to cut into 2 or 3 usable pads. If yours are the same original size, three is enough.
Silver & copper clecos: your numbers look fine.
5/32" clecos: I had 6 and never really needed any more than that, but for sure you WILL use them
drill bits: I ordered a dozen each of #30 and #40, am essentially finished drilling in the build process, and only have about 2 of each left.
sharpies: can NEVER have too many extra-fine point Sharpies; blue ones last twice as long as black ones
back rivet tape: one roll will be PLENTY
Boelube: you'll want one tube of the solid stuff, and one small bottle of the liquid
snips: yes, you'll need a RH and a LH
pop-style dimple dies: yes, you'll need and use both

Aside: You'll rejoice and be thankful EVERY time you use the Main Squeeze.:D

What I did

I bought the tool kit from Avery and ulitmately I bought twice as many silver and cooper clecos as the kit came with...My plane is an 8 and I wanted to be able to basically cleco the entire fuselage with at least one in every other hole. They are cheap and easy to unload if you wish when you are done...my opinion you can't have to many but you can have to few...I now have about 800 silver and 400 copper...

Back rivet tape

Just my 2 cents worth here, but I did not use any back rivet tape. I used Scotch tape and seemed to work just fine. Enjoy the build--you'll have a ball--some frustrations along the way, but overall should be loads of fun! :D

Steve
Skyking902001
RV-8 workin on fuse

Double the clecos

I would double the clecos. I have about 500 3/32 300 1/8 30 5/32. I've com close to having them 'All In' on a couple of occasions.

Hello to all,

I'm finalising my wish list for my tool kit order. (Cleaveland)

As I live in France and shipping costs can be steep, I'd like to avoid as much as possible multiple orders if I can.
I just have a few simple questions before sending the order in and would like to have input from you guys/gals that are in the actual building process.

There's a very good chance that I'll go for a standard build RV-8. For the time, I'm waiting for my empennage kit to arrive. :cool:

How many of the 3M Scotch Brite Red Hand Pads would I normally need? The proposed quantity is 4... That seems a bit thin to me... 10, 20, 30, more?
I have gone through about a dozen of these. I scuffed and primed all of the interior skins in my slow build kit. I get mine at a local industrial supply company.

Does (300) 3/32", (150) 1/8" and (10) 3/16" Clekos seem ok?
I've seen 325 and 175 suggested elsewhere and since it's not much more expensive... I know that more can be better than less but I also want to try to avoid the overkill...

Avery and PlaneTools also suggests (10) 5/32" Clekos but not Cleaveland, what do you think?
I have double what Avery puts in their kit, and that has been enough to do both wings at the same time, and building the fuselage without running out.

Should I order double the quantities of drill bits just to be on the safe side?
Avery gave me more than I needed. Get a full set of numbered and lettered size drill bits if you can. You will find that you will need some odd sizes. Using a #41 to drill out rivets will have less chance of oversizing the hole. There are some holes that get tapped for screws and they use some unique numbered/lettered drill bits. Getting some of these taps now might be a good idea. The tie down mounts in the wings get tapped, and some holes in the tipup canopy on the -9. Can't say for the 8 what might be needed, but your standard 10-32, 8-32 and 1/4 hardware is a safe bet. Some of the nutplates need just a touch of help from a tap to get the bolts/screws started.

Are 3 Sharpie Markers enough?
I'm on my third set of sharpies. They dry out. Get the retractable kind that have the button on the end to click open. Ultra-fine in blue. Cheaper by the dozen at Office supply companies.

Are 2 back rivet tapes enough? http://www.cleavelandtoolstore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RT811
Only 1 is suggested knowing that one tape is 32.9 meters long.
1 roll is plenty. Get some heavy duty clear packing tape and use that as you rivet. It holds the rivets in place, and keeps the skins from getting scuffed by the head of the rivet set when flush riveting.

How about Beolube, 1 or 2 tubes..., or more?
1 tube is plenty. I got the solid type and haven't made much of a dent in the amount used.

PlaneTools proposes straight cut snips on top of the right and left handed ones, what do you think?
Skip the straight cut snips. I don't think I've ever used those. If you have a straight cut to make, get it close with the left or right snips, then file/sand to the line.

PlaneTools proposes a 3/32" Pop Rivet Dimple Die, and a 1/8" Pop Rivet Dimple Die, are these usefull?
I don't have a 1/8" die, so you probably don't need that. You may also need a #10 dimple die. There are a couple of places on the -9 that require a flush screw (tip-up canopy struts, and gear leg weldments on the fuselage).

Hope this helps and good luck with your project!

I have used both pop rivet dimple dies numerous times. Make sure you ask for some extra 'stems' (Stainless nails) for each. You will break them off after a number of uses, more on the 3/32 than the 1/8.

Hi Eric,

- I'm very happy with my pneumatic revet squeezer with a bench mounting bracket (it's easy to build), 1/8" rivets are hard (for me) to drive with the hand squeezer and the bracket keeps the squeezer perpendicular, helping to rivets longerons.
- 2x 24" stainless flexible ruler are of great help to align "lower" and "upper" ribs.
- a drill pilot sleeve for rivet removal and some 1/8" "oops rivet"
- rivet cutter and extra 1/8 e 3/32 rivets
- Prekote surface pre-treatment (non-toxic, they say...)

My newbie 2 cents.
Enjoy building!

Val.

Hi Eric,

Welcome to the wonderful world of RV building.

If you are creating a "wish" versus a "must have" list then I would suggest:

Drill bits:
a full set of numbered drills
extra #30, #40, #41, #20, #12 drill bits.
#30, #40, #20, #12 in 6 inch and/or 12 inch drill bit lengths

Regarding Scotch-brite pads, I would order a box of maroon and a box of grey. I think there are ~20 in a box. You will use the entire box by then end of your build.

A good set of files is priceless. Be sure to get a good ******* file, not just a finishing file. Cleaveland has a good file kit: FILEKITW

Number of clecos sounds reasonable, I built a QB-8 with the numbers you are suggesting but with only 4 3/16.

I would include 6-12 edge clamp clekos (CLC100)

Cheers,
Mike

P.S. Looks like VAF automatically censors words. The name of the standard cut file that begins with b and and ends with a d has been removed. Be sure to get a standard cut file.

Last edited:
MANY THANKS TO ALL

Hey everyone, MANY THANKS for your replys and suggestions.

It's a great help for finalizing my order !!!

I'll be ordering in a few days so if any of you have more inputs, feel free !!!

Have a nice day !!!

Eric

Tools and transport

Hi Eric

Do you have the "other" tools already? e.g. Band Saw, grinder with scotchbrite wheel and belt etc.?

Also get the tool kit sent to Van's and have them ship it with your kit. I will cut down on having two separate shipping costs.

Cheers

Jim

My favorite tool

is my pneumatic squeezer. I frequently used a 4" no hole yoke, a 3" standard yoke, and a ~2" longeron yoke. This was on a quick build - OK, maybe I'm a wimp. Better results and quicker than rivet gun IMHO. Purchased a hand squeezer from Cleveland, but really never used it...

Have Fun! I know you will...

What about Safety Wire and Wire Twister???
What wire size is used, .020, .032, .041, or all three?
6" or 9" twister recommended...??

bruceh suggested taps for threading holes. I can appreciate their usefullness, and if needed, why not suggested in the kits??

The "other" tools, I don't have yet. There's a big renovation store near my place where I made some reconnaissance visits. They seem to have a decent choice of bench tools like press drills, grinders, compressors, pneumatic paint accessories, etc. Soon to be raided by me... :cool:

Any others thoughts by any of you welcome !!!

Cheers

Tools

When you are getting a Band Saw, make sure you get a couple of aluminium blades. The belt sander attachment for the grinder is very useful, I have used it almost every time I have worked with a metal part.

The taps are needed for a few parts that need a thread put in them. e.g. the RV 8 throttle / mixture control cables have a manufactured piece that needs to have threads cut into it, and passing a tap through the nutplates make it much easier to do up and undo the screws. (have a look at the EAA "how to" videos, there is one that talks about the need for the taps)

I also agree with the usefulness of the pneumatic squeezer. It can rivet with consistency and dimple some parts that won't fit in the dimplier.

Down the track you will need a flaring tool (an Aviation one NOT an Automotive one) a good pipe cutter and pipe bending tool is also needed. A variety of bucking bars will be very useful to.

Oh and a 90 degree drill fitting is something I have used a lot!

Cheers

Jim

Back