to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2022, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexPeterson View Post
I don't believe it would stick much to HDPE. Getting adhesives to stick to HDPE is very difficult.
hmmm, this seems like an opportunity for some tests.

I have some pieces of scrap HDPE around. When I get around to building my extended range tanks and break out the sealant, maybe I'll do some test coupons on HDPE bonding to various materials with the flamemaster sealant.
Old 06-21-2022, 08:39 PM

We had an old motorhome that had a cracked water tank that was HDPE. The official solution was to "weld" the plastic with some sort of heat gun device that laid down new plastic. There was no way to get the gun in to where the crack was. The guy who knew how to weld this type of plastic told me to just get some pure silicon aquarium sealant at the local big box store, slap a big wide layer on the crack then and use something to cover the silicon and crack. It worked great and we were then able to fill up the fresh water tank without getting the water contaminated with anything noxious. Once the silicon cured it was safe for fish, so it must be pretty inert.
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and Flying Over the Hills Blog
2022 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor, Pre Buys, Build assistance - canopy/tanks/fiberglass/electrical/repairs
Old 06-26-2022, 02:54 PM

UPDATE... I did weld repair (soldering iron). The tank injected molded seem has a flange of extra material next to the crack. I melted that into the crack. Tested with water, seemed sealed. Put epoxy over as belt and suspenders. I let it sit two days. Put it together and it worked for awhile. Ran the generator for 30 minutes, then let it sit pm cardboard for two days, and got a dinner sized gas stain

The tank is back ordered. Manufacture shows back ordered with no expected date. I will buy a tank ($80) if I can get one. If not I will grind the epoxy out and re-melt it more aggressively. I was a little timid at my first attempt. I will take the tank back out and give the weld repair another try just for fun, but a new tank is the way to go (if when I can get one).

Last edited by gmcjetpilot : 06-26-2022 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-26-2022, 07:22 PM

It's been my experience that proseal sticks to EVERYTHING!
Old 06-26-2022, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMFenster View Post
It's been my experience that proseal sticks to EVERYTHING!
It is worth a shot if I can't buy an $80 tank. With that said it is a huge PAIN to take off all the cowling to get at tank. I really don't want to do it more than once more.