What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airworthy RV-8A

868RM

Well Known Member
Today at noon 868RM became an airplane. Jim Auman did the official sign off. He was very helpful and it went well. Plane is painted with first flight planned for Sunday. Pictures should follow first flight. Ron

sweeeetttt...

Congrats on the huge accomplishment! I am with Tony - show some pictures! We wanna see that RV grin and that RV :D

Congrats

That's great news Ron. Just the fun stuff left now. Let us know how the first flight goes.

Having recently completed the 40 hr flight test program on a friend's -8A, you're gonna fall in love with flying all over again!

868RM First Flight

868RM fist flew Sunday, August 5, in Northern Illinois and Southern Wisconsin. Flight was terrific and all went well. It is hard to type with the huge RVGrin. More Grin photos to follow from another camera. Special thanks to wife Kathy, son Doug, ground crew Gary, Mark, and Bear, air crew Grain Farmer, Doug, and Richard Farmer, and Todd Wenzel for starting this project (he is missing the finished product). Temps were high in the beginning, but settled down after about 45 minutes, will need further testing to evaluate all temps and systems.

Here are a few pics, will post more later.

Ron

Sunday Morning
IMG_3652.jpg

Just After Take Off
IMG_3897.jpg

In Flight
IMG_3936.jpg

In Flight
IMG_3940.jpg

In Flight
IMG_4002.jpg

In Flight
IMG_4004.jpg

In Flight
IMG_4028.jpg

In Flight
IMG_4113.jpg

In Flight
IMG_4115.jpg

Back For Lunch
IMG_4141.jpg

Congrats!!

868RM fist flew Sunday, August 5, in Northern Illinois and Southern Wisconsin. Flight was terrific and all went well. It is hard to type with the huge RVGrin.

IMG_4141.jpg

Congratulation on the fledging of your new bird:D

Interesting paint scheme, anything special, or just what felt good??

Congratulations Ron on your first flight.... Now I really need to get up there for a visit to see your finished project.

Jason

paint

Thanks, Just wanted something different than scroll patterns. Rudder is dedicated to my father in law who was piloting a b-25 on his 30th. mission when shot down over Italy. The crew bailed safely but he was a pow for a while. The plane flies great but I need to research rudder trim block and check aileron rigging. It wants to turn left with hands off, but the ball is not quite centered. Slight pressure on the right rudder brings the ball to center and plane flies straight and level. When I get the rest of my pictures I will post some closer shots. Thanks again Ron

Back