What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Could use some help in Mirconesia

tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
I know this is a long shot but I will give it a try. I am assisting in an effort to solve the worlds oldest aircraft hijacking case. In 1938 the Pan Am Hawaii Clipper 4 engine flying boat departed Guam for Manila and never arrived. There is evidence that it was hijacked and taken to a Japanese seaplane base in the Pacific where the 15 crew members and passengers were murdered and buried. The full story can be found here: www.lostclipper.com

It would helpful to have the use of an RV (or other aircraft) for aerial observation in the area of Chuuk, Micronesia during the next couple of weeks. Most of you will know that place by its former name, Truk Lagoon. A search of the white pages did not disclose any RV owners in that area. I am hoping there might be someone who is not listed, perhaps a lurker here on VAF.

I will be leaving for Truk in a couple of days so if you respond please do not email me, send a message here. I will be able to check it from Truk.

Last edited:
Micronesia

Hello Tony,
I know of no RV owners in Micronesia, although I have a friend that is an attorney there that may be able to help secure other resorces if you have the need.

On the capitol island, you can look up Castro Mudong. His brother is a past Govenor which may still have some connections.

Tell him Nick from work in Oregon told you to contact him.

Good Luck

Hi Tony,

We dove Truk lagoon about ten years ago and only saw sunken Japanese ships, although there may well be an airplane or two.

Wish I could go!

Best,

thanks

Thanks Nick and Pierre,

I will keep the information about the lawyer in mind, you never know when you will need one, especially one with local knowledge.

We don't think the airplane is there, it was most likely taken to Japan for inspection and to reverse engineer it. The Japanese Emily seaplane that was in the design stage during the hijacking incorporates some of the design features of the Martin flying boat that was hijacked.

We will be looking for the bodies of the crew and passengers which are said to be buried under the slab of a building that was constructed there is 1938. We need to locate the correct slab. My colleage is there now with ground penetrating radar.

Last edited:
Back