What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MA4=SPA Carb float

FLYIN9A

Well Known Member
CAN SOMEONE HELP ME. I HAVE A MA4-SPA CARB ON MY AEROSPORT 0320. THERE IS AN AD ABOUT REPLACING THE FLOAT. I DO NOT SEE AN IC#, BUT (V, MF) IS STAMPED IN LOWER PART OF PLATE. THIS, I THINK, INDICATES IT HAS A METAL FLOAT. THIS IS NOT THE BLUE EPOXY FLOAT. CHIEF AIRCRAFT HAS A METAL FLOAT FOR THE MA4-SPA CURRENTLY LISTED IN THEIR CATALOG (NOT AN EPOXY FLOAT). I HAVE THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS.

1. DOES MY CARB NEED THE BLUE EPOXY FLOAT?
2. IF NEEDED WHERE CAN I GET THE EPOXY FLOAT?
3. WHAT IS THE PART NUMBER FOR THE EPOXY FLOAT FOR THE MA4-SPA?
4. TO REPLACE THE FLOAT, WHAT ELSE DO I NEED, CLIPS, PINS, ETC.?

I HAVE SOMEONE TO SHOW ME HOW TO DO IT, WHEN/IF I NEED TO GET R DUN.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR INPUT.

JOE:rolleyes:

AD not apply

I would have to go back and check my documentation but on my carb the AD/SB from precision did not apply if you had a metal float (the MF stamp). In my case I replaced the plastic float with a metal float kit from Kelly Aerospace. Kelly says that the SB did not apply to their metal floats.

SPA Carb float

Joe,
1. Tempest bought out Precision which bought out MS. They issued a service bulletin calling for a replacement of all previously installed floats metal, plastic or whatever with the blue epoxy ones. CYA or because of real real problems it is hard to tell. I made the change in my 75 hour old carb and took out perfectly good white plastic floats which would probably last the life of the engine. Some carbs have hundreds of hours on them and I am sure the floats are in a lot worse shape so they probsably need this change more than I did.

2. Aircraft spruce sell the floats and a kit with all the necessary gaskets and other parts.

3. I can't give you the part number for your carb, mine was an MA4-5A but the Tempest web site should have it or you can contact them for the correct P/N. Site URL is: http://www.tempestplus.com/msacarburetorbulletins_.htm

4. You can buy the float by itself but I would suggest you get the kit. The gasket between the carb top and bottom was difficult to remove on my new carb and if you tear it you have to sit and wait for a replacement. Of course the kit is more expensive ($112) and if you have a new carb the gasket is the only other part you might need. If you buy just the float the gasket will tear; if you buy the kit, the only thing you will need is the float!

I had help from an experienced A&P but it is not a difficult procedure.

John Ciolino
RV-8
N894Y

Back