What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trim servo speed controller

FLYIN9A

Well Known Member
JUST GOT MY 9A FLYIN AND AM IN TESTING PHASE. I HAVE A RAY ALLEN ELECTRIC ELEV TRIM SYSTEM. WAY TOO SENSITIVE. RAY ALLEN HAS A SPEED CONTROLLER TO, I ASSUME SLOW DOWN THE SYSTEM. DOES ANYONE HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH THE SPEED CONTROLLER. DOES IT WORK WELL? CAN YOU EMAIL ME AT [email protected] WITH ANY INPUT.

JOE
N459RV

I'm not done building but I'm interested in the same question.

An inflight adjustable speed control would be best. (maybe with a switch?) I've heard from others that a slow servo is great at cruise speeds but can be annoyingly slow in the pattern. Likewise regular servo speed in the pattern is great but too fast in cruise.

The Ray Allen system work fine.

The only problem that I have had with mine was I set it up backwards. It trimmed faster when flaps were up and slower when flaps were down.
After I switch the wires around and adjusted the slow speed voltage, it has work great since.

Kent

I found that I never needed a speed controller. Just quick blips on the hat switch do a good job. I have both elevator & aileron trim.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Hi Joe,

Had the same issue with my 9a when I first flew it back in 2006. That big elevator trim tab makes for a very sensitive trim issue at cruise speeds. I bought the Ray Allen speed controller, got it set properly after a couple of flights, and it has worked great since. One suggestion, if you do go with the Ray Allen, mount it under the floor pan but drill a very small hole so you can access the speed control screw with a small screwdriver from the cockpit --makes for a much easier task of adjusting.

Cheers,

db

TRIM SPEED

I set up my -6 with a speed controller, it has a swt. that changes it to fast when the flaps are not in full up. Works great. 700+ hrs.

Back