What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help-Aft Canapy Deck

FLYIN9A

Well Known Member
LOOOKING FOR SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO USE TO BUCK THE RIVETS FOR THE F-721B AFT CANAPY DECK. (9A SLIDER) WHAT DID YOU USE TO GET INTO THE TIGHT SPACE TO BUCK THESE RIVETS.
THANKS
JOE
:confused: :confused:

FLYIN9A said:
LOOOKING FOR SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO USE TO BUCK THE RIVETS FOR THE F-721B AFT CANAPY DECK. (9A SLIDER) WHAT DID YOU USE TO GET INTO THE TIGHT SPACE TO BUCK THESE RIVETS.
THANKS
JOE
:confused: :confused:

Joe,

I just did mine today. I used a bucking bar that was advertised in an old issue of the RVator. It was originally designed for doing wing rib flanges, but it worked great on the 721-B because it is thin enough to get behind the bottom flange. I was able to do all the rivets on the F-721B and all but one rivet on the F-721A with this bar. The guy who made it is Fred Van Dyke, and he does machine work on engine mounts for Van's. Perhaps the factory knows how to contact him.

Another possibility is to go to a scrap metal yard and get a piece of steel that is about 1/2" thick, 4 to 5 inches long and slightly narrower than the distance between the gold center secton bulkheads that go under the F-721B. The exact size isn't important, so long as it weighs about 1 1/2 pounds, is thin enough to fit behind the bottom flange of the F-721B, and is narrow enough to fit between the two center section bulkheads. The bucking bar I bought from Fred meets all of these requirements.

Hope this helps,

Mark

Back