What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Tanks Reversed on G3X

macrafic

Well Known Member
When I calibrated the fuel tanks, I somehow reversed the tank labels. So, my right tank actually shows up on the G3X as the left, and vice versa. Is there any way to rectify this without having to drain my tanks and starting over?

Try swapping the pins on connector J244 (GEA), fuel quantity one and two.

==dave==
N102FM

When I calibrated the fuel tanks, I somehow reversed the tank labels. So, my right tank actually shows up on the G3X as the left, and vice versa. Is there any way to rectify this without having to drain my tanks and starting over?

Hello Rich,

You say you "reversed the tank labels", but we think you are saying that you reversed the wiring between the left and right tanks.

The very first thing you should do is make sure you save off your fuel quantity calibrations to an SD card. Follow the instructions on page 34-148 of the Rev. AC G3X Installation Manual.

This will create a \Garmin\cal folder on your SD card, and in that folder you will have two files labeled fuel_lvl1.cal and fuel_lvl2.cal. Probably good to save copies of those on your PC hard drive just in case something gets confused on the following steps.

Next, put that SD card in your PC and rename fuel_lvl1.cal to fuel_lvl2.cal and rename fuel_lvl2.cal to fuel_lvl1.cal. Since it won't allow you to have two files with the same name, you will have to temporarily rename one of the files to something else.

Now correct the wiring by swapping the left/right fuel probes on the GEA 24 connector.

Finally, go into the Calibration page for each fuel probe and select Menu, Read Calibration File with your SD card inserted. When you perform this step for the left tank, you will see it now has the same calibration curve as the right tank. When you perform this step on the right tank, it will then have the previous left tank calibration curve and all should be good.

If everything went well, don't forget to delete the original set of .cal files saved to your PC since you will never want to reload those, and put your new .cal files in a safe place.

Thanks,
Steve

Reviving an old thread. Does anyone know where it is documented which pins on the GEA are for the left tank quantity and which ones are for the right tank? In the installation manual, Garmin refers to "FUEL QTY 1" and "FUEL QTY 2", but I can't locate where it says whether 1 is right or 1 is left.

Reviving an old thread. Does anyone know where it is documented which pins on the GEA are for the left tank quantity and which ones are for the right tank? In the installation manual, Garmin refers to "FUEL QTY 1" and "FUEL QTY 2", but I can't locate where it says whether 1 is right or 1 is left.

#1 eng is always the left, same for the fuel tank.

Back