What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Videos to remove and reinstall impulse slick mag?

RickWoodall

Well Known Member
Its time for my one mag to be sent in for 500hr check over. I would like to remove it myself and learn but also dont wish to be foolish.

Is this something simple to do or is it wise to pay to have it done? A quick look on line to find at least a vid or tuturial so i can see what is involved and what i need to know would be great so i can decide if its a skill to learn or better left to pros. I will have the reinstall done and it set by a pro...just like to keep learning and taking it off and sending it off for inspection should be stuff i can handle no?

Comments or tips welcome.

You will need a timing tool to reinstall and a new gasket as well, along with the maintenance manual for your engine.

Search the internet for magneto timing.

Maxwell Magneto in FL is highly recommended. They did the Slick mags on my Cherokee last year.

Slick Mags

It's easy to do; I've done it many times, and if I can do it, anyone can! The trick to reinstall is having the timing pin that goes in the little hole in the back. It can be a little tricky to tell when it's in correctly.

It's easy to do; I've done it many times, and if I can do it, anyone can! The trick to reinstall is having the timing pin that goes in the little hole in the back. It can be a little tricky to tell when it's in correctly.

Of course, one has to assure that they have chosen the correct hole for rotation!
As Paul stated, it is not a difficult process, and with some over the shoulder advice on the first attempt you will have it down!

Slick install

Always use the attachment hardware specified in the engine parts book including new lock washers.

Don B

RV 9 rebuild in progress

Rick,
Insert timing pin into hole marked "L" n mag
rotate the gear till the pin slides down to the first shoulder
Set. Tdc #1 cylinder compression stroke
Turn prop for appropriate timing for your engine
Insert mag, snug hold down nuts
REMOVE PIN before turning anything.
Adjust to final timing
Install cap

If you have trouble, call me and I will walk you through it
We send our mags to Aero Atelier in lac a la Tortue in Quebec. The are a fine engine shop and quick to return repairs.

Gary

Last edited:
IMPORTANT

Rick,
Insert timing pin into hole marked "L" n mag
rotate the gear till the pin slides down to the first shoulder
Set. Tdc #1 cylinder compression stroke
Turn prop for appropriate timing for your engine
Insert mag, snug hold down nuts
Adjust to final timing
Install cap

If you have trouble, call me and I will walk you through it
We send our mags to Aero Atelier in lac a la Tortue in Quebec. The are a fine engine shop and quick to return repairs.

Gary

The most important step is missing above:

After step 5 (mag installed) REMOVE THE PIN from the mag prior to turning anything.

The L and R marking on the magnetos refer to their direction of rotation - not the left mag or right mag. O320s and O360s both use LEFT rotation magnetos so the timing pin goes in the LEFT hole on both mags.

the timing pin goes in the LEFT hole on both mags.

Read everything you can so when you get help on your first mag install from an A&P Tech Counselor that tells you the pin on the right mag goes in "R", you'll know not to (ever) follow his advice (again). :eek:

The PIN - The PIN

As my A/P friend said those that have and those that will rotate the prop with pin still installed. It's a little hard to remove with the tip bent. I'm one who did and now tie a rope around my neck and the prop. You get the idea!:eek:

Back