What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

project transport from Sanford to Clearwater FL

tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
I am getting ready to move my RV8A project from SFB to PIE in Clearwater.

The tail surfaces are on, but I can remove them if necessary.

I have a quote from towing company in Orlando that will transport my project on an open flatbed with the tail on, for $400.

Does anyone know a better option? I would consider hiring a towing company from elsewhere, perhaps the Tampa Bay area since the driving distance would come out the same either way.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Tony

U Haul

I looked at U haul trucks. It would be hard to get the plane up into the truck. I am also not sure if the width of the truck would accommodate the 6 ft 10 in outside measurements of the landing gear. I would also have to take off the tail, which I would be willing to do.

I like the fact that the truck is covered as opposed to an open flatbed.

$400 sounds awful cheap. If you do transported on the trailer I would at least wrap it in that type of saran wrap. Welcome to Florida. See you in the pattern.:)

transport

Turbo,

Actually I thought $400 was a bit pricey since it is only 130 miles.

I found a flatbed trailer that I can borrow for the fuselage. I will have to rent a U haul trailer for the wings, workbench etc.

Both Tampa and Clearwater traffic can be bad depending on time of day. If you look at it from a number of hours to get there perspective, $400 might not be so bad.

I live in Tampa and when I go to Clearwater Beach on a weekend, it takes an hour or more.

$400 sounds pretty reasonable to me. That's a good two hour trip each way. Their gas, equipment, time, (and tolls if you take 417).
I bet you'll be out more than that if you use a U-Haul.

cost

I understand that $400 might not be a bad price. That would of course just cover the transport of the fuselage. I would still have to rent a truck or trailer to haul the wings, workbench and other items.

If I could have it all hauled for that price I would do it to avoid the hassle and the driving back and forth.

My current plan is to use a borrowed flat bed trailer for the fuselage and a U haul trailer for the rest.

I am still open to other options.

Back