What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Icom A200 lighting

tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
There have been discussions about dimming the Icom A200 by using Pin B which is supposed to be connected to the aircraft dimming bus and will reduce the light by half.

My problem is a bit different. There is no backlight at all on my A200. That is true whether or not power is applied to pin B.

So, what do you do to see backlight on an A200. BTW, this radio has been the biggest PIA of all my avionics.

There are several power inputs and grounds.

I am assuming you have pin 1 grounded.

My backlight works and all I did was connect pin B to power and pin 1 to a ground and it turned on.

Could the LED be bad?

My A200 is my hangar radio. I have the backlight wired with the power. The backlight is on whenever my radio is on but then again, it is a hangar radio.

Hi Tony,
It's been a while since I've seen you.
I too have the A200 & it's been a pain as well.
For future reference, they use a resister as a jumper and it's not cushioned by any rtv and it tends to break and produce intermitant transmit. PIA to detect as you cannot see the break because of the orientation.

Sounds like you're getting close to getting her flying.
YMA needs flyers.

Icom

Thanks guys for the input.

Mike, I did indeed ground pin 1. I double checked that tonight. It was a good thought.

Dan, I hate this radio. I appreciate the heads up about the wires breaking, I have already had that experience and it is not even flying yet. I plan to use shoe goo to keep the connections as solid as I can. I already had to redo all the wiring, replace the connector, and order more of those molex pins.

I am having a real experience with the radios. The SL30, new in the box but old enough for the warranty to have run out, failed upon install. I just reinstalled it and it worked well for one day, now I cannot get it to work. So, I guess I am getting close, but I am doing the one step forward and 3 steps back thing.

I look forward to flying with YMA, perhaps flying high fighter cover over the Conch Navy during the rebellion next year.

Back