What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What size hangar for rv and Tcraft

tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
I am looking at buying a hangar. In addition to my RV8A project I have a Taylorcraft L2 with a wingspan of 35.4 feet.

I am looking at a hangar that is 40 ft wide and 33 deep. It would be a T hangar except that it is on an end and has only one corner obstructed as T hangars do.

I made papercut outs and moved them around on graph paper, but that does not account for the high wing / low wing characteristics.

I would appreciate feedback from those who know the minimum hangar size for a high wing taildragger with a 35.4 ft wingspan and an 8A to cohabitate.

Another option is a lift.

If it was a 33'x40' box, you'd be fine. But that cutout (I think) will be a deal breaker unless you're really clever. I have an RV-6 and a Champ project. I've convinced myself that I'll be able to fit both into my 24'x41' box hangar. I've done the work to be certain, but it'll be tight.

I am looking at buying a hangar. In addition to my RV8A project I have a Taylorcraft L2 with a wingspan of 35.4 feet.

I am looking at a hangar that is 40 ft wide and 33 deep. It would be a T hangar except that it is on an end and has only one corner obstructed as T hangars do.

I made papercut outs and moved them around on graph paper, but that does not account for the high wing / low wing characteristics.

I would appreciate feedback from those who know the minimum hangar size for a high wing taildragger with a 35.4 ft wingspan and an 8A to cohabitate.

Another option is a lift.

Here's how I did it. I used a boat winch bolted to the back of the raised stand to pull the plane up the ramps. The tall RV-7 rudder cleared the bottom of the Dakota Hawk wing by about 6".

74cfc2ae.jpg

40x30

My -4 shared a 40 wide hangar with a Murphy Rebel. The Rebel owner had to pull the -4 out whenever he wanted his out, but otherwise worked fine. The Rebel went in nose first on an angle to keep his tail out of the way of the -4 wing, and had big tires so my rudder cleared under his wing (the -4 went in rudder first tight along the side wall).

My RV8 and C-172

fit into my 50x45 hangar with just enough clearance to remove each without having to move the other. Actually they both occupy a 50x35 space and would probably squeeze into a 45x35 area but the one in front would block the door access to the one parked behind. Hope this helps.

I've had my 7 in a 40x30 rectangle with both a 182 and a 210. Their tail goes on one corner. I think it would go in an out ok depending on the size of the cut out. My hoz stab goes under the strut though so an A might need it pused down to get past. I have a picture somewhere if you want it.

lift

I appreciate the responses to my question.

My solution was to install an aero lift which will raise the L2 Taylorcraft up and position the RV8A under it.

I installed the lift yestarday.

Back