What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

removing fuel tank on RV-9A

FLYIN9A

Well Known Member
I HAD OCCATION TO TAKE OFF MY FUEL TANK ON MY RV9A, TWICE. (HARD TO FIND LEAK, DON'T ASK). IT TOOK ME 4 HOURS THE FIRST TIME AND 1 HOUR AND 15 MIN THE SECOND. HERE IS THE PROCEEDURE I USED ON 2ND ATTEMPT.

GET A CHEAP 1/4IN RATCHET AND CUT THE HANDLE DOWN TO 2.5 INCHES IN LENGTH.

REMOVE SEATPAN FROM APPROPRIATE SIDE OF FUSE AND DETACH AILERON PUSH ROD FROM STICK. CAREFUL TO RETREIVE SMALL BEARING WASHERS.

REMOVE WING INSPECTION PLATES AND WING ROOT FAIRING.

DETACH AILERON PUSHROD FROM BELCRANK. PUSHROD IS NOW FREE.

PUSH LOOSE PUSHROD OUTBOARD TO CLEAR AREA TO ACCESS TANK BOLTS.

REMOVE ALL # 8 SCREW ON BOTTOM OF TANK.

REMOVE ALL BOLTS HOLDING TANK BRACKETS TO SPAR INSIDE THE WING
(X18). USE THE CUT OFF RATCHET AND 3/8 SOCKET TO ASSIST IN THIS PROCESS.

DETACH FUEL LINE, VENT TUBE CONNECTIONS AND FUEL SENDER WIRE

REMOVE WING ATTACH ANGLE SAFETY WIRE/BOLT

REMOVE INBOARD MOST SPAR/BRACKET BOLTS BETWEEN THE FUSE AND TANK

REMOVE ALL TOPSIDE #8 SCREWS

TANK IS FREE, REMOVE TANK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOOD LUCK

TO REPLACE TANK, REVERSE PROCESS

why remove the push rod?

Joe,
I have had to remove my fuel tank because of leaks also. All of the spar attach bolts are accessible through the inspection plates without removing the push rod. It really is a pain in my plane to remove the seat floor pan. I would think by not removing the push rod you could save a considerable amount of time.

Perhaps you have something different on your plane than mine that may be precluding the need for you to remove the push rods but I did not find it necessary to do so. Just my thoughts on your process in comparison to what I have dealt with in the past on my 9A.

I found the best wrench to remove the Z bracket bolts was a stubby ratchet wrench. Worked great compared to other things I tried. I didn't remove a pushrod or any other items. I had a similar issue with a leak and had to remove the tank twice to make the repair.

REMOVE FUEL TANKS

ACCESS TO THE BOLTS ARE GREATLY IMPAIRED BY THE PRESENCE OF THE PUSHROD. IT TOOK ME ABOUT 10-15 MIN TO REMOVE SEATPAN AND PUSHROD FROM STICK WITH THE USE OF ELECTRIC DRILL/DRIVER. I SAVED 2.5 HOURS BY NOT HAVING THE PUSHROD IN THE WAY TO ACCESS THE BOLTS. IT REALLY IS EASIER AND SAVES TIME.

JOE

Get one of these 1/4" micro ratchet wrenches from Northern Tool:

(Click to go to link)

My wife gave me one of these as a stocking stuffer and it is one of my favorite tools!

Last edited:
Tank Removal process

Everything looks perfect, except the first step should be

:drain fuel tank

Sorry, I just had to say that...LOL

All the best and thanks for sharing

Dave Pohl

Last edited:
Back