What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Autopilot Installation

FLYIN9A

Well Known Member
Can Anyone Give Me Some Input On Autopilot Installation. I Am Mounting The Navaid Servo On The Outside Of The Outboard Rib To The Bellcrank. I Need To Know How Far Out On The Bell Crank From The Pivot Bolt To Drill To Attach The Pushrod. Can Anyone Help???
Joe

Autopilot

I Need A Measurement From The Pivot Bolt OUT To The Autopilot Controlrod Attach Point For The 9a Aileron Bellcrank....

Joe

attaching autopilot pushrod

I Need A Measurement From The Pivot Bolt OUT To The Autopilot Controlrod Attach Point For The 9a Aileron Bellcrank....

The attachment location isn't critical. Try to get the servo pushrod attached more or less midway between the bellcrank pivot and the aileron pushrod attachment. The servo will have plenty of grunt to move the ailerons the tiny amount necessary during flight.

Most important is to assure you do not have any pushrod interference or that the servo arm can't go over-center. If the servo pushrod is mounted out near the aileron pushrod, the servo arm might be able to go over-center. Mount it close to the bellcrank pivot and you might have interference with the servo pushrod and pivot at full aileron travel. Midway is about right. :)

Sam Buchanan

Hole Location

The hole distance from the pivot point on the aileron bell crank should be the same distance as on the servo arm piviot to the rod end attachment hole. This is per Trio. They use the same servo.

Have fun.

Roger

wingtip servo mount

The hole distance from the pivot point on the aileron bell crank should be the same distance as on the servo arm piviot to the rod end attachment hole. This is per Trio. They use the same servo.

This is certainly a good rule to use for most installations. However, the original poster stated that he is mounting the servo on the outboard rib at the wingtip. A large diameter pushrod should be fabricated for this installation. Depending on the geometry of the rod in relation to the lightening holes, the larger diameter rod may require the pushrod be attached a little farther from the bellcrank pivot than would be the case if the servo was only a few inches from the bellcrank.

By the way, Trio is now shipping their new Gold Standard servo with their EZ-Pilot and altitude hold systems. This is a trick servo that has logic and an accelerometer built into it that gives it some really good safety features. Looks as if the Navaid servo is now a part of Trio's past.

Sam Buchanan

Push pull tube

I believe I used about a one inch tube for the push pull tube. I used a tube with a wall thickness that was slightly undersized for a piece of solid round stock aluminum to fit into the ends after a little sanding of the diameter on the drill press. I riveted in the solid stock and then drilled and tapped them for the rod end installation. I also mounted my servo on the wing tip rib. All works fine.

Back