What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X CDI Question

bob888

Well Known Member
Is there a way to slew the CDI in VOR mode, like to find out which radial you are on by centering the CDI? This is probably a dumb question but I can't find the answer in the Pilot Guide and my CFII couldn't either (in midst of IPC).

Second softkey in from the left on PFD (pilots guide p 37 rev P); push it and then use the rotary knob to dial in the course.

==dave==

I should have specified that I have the g3x touch; no softkeys. Still looking for a way to slew the CDI needle.

Your looking for something called an OBS button. I am sure it is there somewhere. Suggest you read the G3X Pilots Guide. I am confident you will find it there.

Larry

Is there a way to slew the CDI in VOR mode, like to find out which radial you are on by centering the CDI?

Hello Bob - There are several ways to determine your current bearing to or from a VOR that is currently being displayed on your G3X Touch HSI:

1. Touch the CRS field on the PFD, then touch the "Sync Course" button. This will automatically slew the selected VOR course in order to center the left/right deviation with a "to" indication. The resulting selected course is now the course to the VOR, and the reciprocal course is your current radial from the VOR.

2. Press and hold the Course knob. This will perform the same action as #1.

3. If you prefer not to use one of the automatic methods, simply use the CRS field or the Course knob to rotate the selected VOR course until the deviation is centered.

4. To determine your position relative to a VOR without changing the current selected course, use the bearing pointer feature of your G3X HSI. With a bearing pointer set to "VLOC", the tip of the bearing pointer arrow will always point to VOR, and the tail will indicate your radial from the VOR.

- Matt

It doesn't have to be so hard!

I have a VERY easy answer to your simple question. On the G3X there are basically only two knobs, one in the lower left side of the screen and one on the lower right side. If you have selected GPS as your NAV source and you are in FULL screen mode the "inner knob" on the bottom right now sets your altimeter and the word BARO is displayed above that knob. The longer knob that is thinner and located with it is a DIDDLE knob at that point in time, it has no function and no label associated with it on the screen. IF, I say again IF you switch to VOR as your primary source of NAV, the inner small knob still sets the altimeter and has the label BARO displayed above it BUT, I say again BUT, the other knob that was a diddle knob when in GPS mode is now your COURSE SELECTOR! You rotate it and the course rotates on the CDI. I have uploaded a couple of screen shots of my G3X and it will clearly show this. Remember the Magenta is the GPS mode and the Green is the VOR mode. Look at what the labels say above the right knob when the NAV source is changed from GPS to VOR

https://qq0u.app.link/e/BM7YyH4jcV

It doesn't have to be so hard!

Be sure to zoom in on the pictures to see the information offered

Back